Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the mainstreaming of video games actually hurt gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has the mainstreaming of video games actually hurt gaming?

I was watching this video the other night on YouTube. It's called the Rise and Fall of G4TV. It got me thinking about it. In my opinion gaming going mainstream did hurt gaming. It has hurt gaming way more than it has helped.

I remember watching G4 back in the mid 2000's. Of course I was younger back then and thought gaming being that popular was cool. But now I look back on G4TV and I can see just how fake and stupid it was. My god was it was so completely fake and corporate. This around the time you started seeing people talking about gamer girls. We all know how that ended up. If only we had known back then what we know now.

Hindsight is a real bitch. lol

Anyway so many people complain that games are so much easier now. That's because gaming has been mainstreamed. Just like computers and the internet. Microsoft made computers more accessible to the public. Then the internet came into existence and eventually it was mainstreamed and we all know what a shit show of censorship and whining normies that has become.

Basically making things mainstream and opening them up to the public basically ruins everything. When anyone can just get involved you let a lot of problems in.

At least that's my take on it. Gaming would be better off if it had stayed the way it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEBwGOHntro&t=771s

The only issue I see with games going mainstream is the lack of niche games that require a bit of thinking or effort like RTS games (they are complicated for the normie audience, I weep every time I hear a gamer say RTS is 2 much for him / her).

Still I don't mind the mainstream games a bit much, I will simply skip the game if it's not for me. I also have a bit of faith on indie developers for giving us what the AAA industry is not willing to work on (quick example: War for the Overworld is the true Dungeon Keeper game we wanted with no time gates, screw EA).
    ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
    Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

• Cuzin_Ed
      Cuzin_Ed commented
      Editing a comment
      I used to play RTS games when I was younger. I just have a hard time getting into them now.

Part of the mainstreaming of video games means bringing in more of the general public. These people can't handle much so games have to be simplified for them. It's why games like TES are basically watered down. Some times it can be good. But a lot of the times it's just bad and ruins things.

Anything going mainstream gets worse for it. Less complex and aimed at a wider audiences always means diluting of some sort.
    The greatest example of something going mainstream and going bad was the big bang theory on tv.
    The first two seasons were made for geeks and it was a pretty accurate model of stereotypical over-exaggerated geeks.
    Then later it turned into: "What the mainstream thinks about geeks" and made for the mainstream, which alienated the original audience that made the show successful.

The same thing is happening in gaming it was brought up trough the eighties nineties and and early 00s by a hardcore geek culture, and now it is diluted into a mainstream shit show with games like fortnite and pubg and other pointless shooters, the success of which everyone is trying to copy. But the only way you get mainstream success is if you go mainstream and that means simplifying which inevitably makes games worse.
    Last edited by MadMummy76; 09-16-2019, 06:21 AM.
    Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
    Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

• Cuzin_Ed
      Cuzin_Ed commented
      Editing a comment
      From what I understand the drive to bring more people into the hobby was because of the increase in development costs. So they have to sell more games and they need more players to do this. Of course when you end up driving away the original fans are you really making more money? It sounds like they would be losing money.

But this is the future we are stuck with.

• MadMummy76
      MadMummy76 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cuzin_Ed
      Some make more money, but very few. They are abandoning their audiences for hopes of a much larger audience and taking a great risk. Instead of doing what actual gamers want they do what they think the mainstream will want. It is a huge gamble that only pays off for a very few. They need to realize that there is only so much appetite for games in the mainstream. They cannot sell 5 BR games to mainstream players every year, while the niche market of gamers will easily take many more big titles without market saturation.

How fake G4 shows were depended on what show you were watching and when ( what year ) you watched them.
    The early shows, before the G4 and TechTV merger were the best.
    It was all downhill after the merger.

G4 did have a most awesome forum. ( '02 Rules! lol )

I'm blocked so this post isn't for cuz ed.
    Several of the interesting folks are probably blocked so it wouldn't be much of a thread, as he sees it.
    Well, who needs ed for an interesting thread!

Each time TES was made more accessible, it, imo, was weakened as a game.
    I'm sure that's not the only example of a franchise weakened by mainstreaming.

Last edited by twidget; 09-16-2019, 09:55 AM. Reason: clarification
    “Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change.”

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

I agree and disagree here. Obviously, I am glad the market grew and those that enjoy games benefit from that in the volume and quality of releases. We can argue that quality has suffered adversely as well (such as the "dumbing down" of difficulty, plot, etc.), but the more resources and parties that are involved in something, the more advancements that are made. One of the mentioned examples are computers, which are a world away from their predecessors because there was a private market for them. We might not like the strings attached, but we do still benefit from the increased marketability and at first glance there is nothing inherently adverse to having a wider audience from solely a numbers perspective.

My problem with the state gaming is currently in is that it is confined to the cross point that inflicts two sides of disadvantages. The disadvantages of being mainstream are already explored here, but it also still suffers from being "too niche" in the court of public opinion and regulation, deservedly so or not. Video games and their players still find themselves very much the black sheep of the entertainment industry, as they are not treated quite like any other form of entertainment. On one hand, the perception of video games being only for children, the immature, and irresponsible still persists despite it being a neutral form of entertainment and mature categories of games existing for years now. On the other, that mature section of content is actively crucified for both not being child friendly and generally being a vice. Examples of this would be censorship, rejection of the AO classification (it is a rating death sentence), supposed connections between violent video games and violent crime being scapegoted, inflated claims of gaming addiction/antisocial behavior, the mythos of toxic gamers/fans, and more. However, it does not have the same recognition, regulation, and acceptance as other vices such as drinking or gambling despite the associations.

Video gaming has basically become a vice treated like no other vice and entertainment treated like no other entertainment. Somehow it is something that is supposedly for children, yet not child friendly; immoral, yet not given its own breadth of acceptance as other vices. Such a contrasting, incompatible identity makes me doubt just how mainstream video games truly are, even though no one can deny how many more copies and consoles are being sold. Perhaps part of this odd stage is that a large portion of the new audience is not very knowledgeable of these issues and care very little. I suppose that fits a normal definition of "casual gamers," but regardless I namely want to see video games break out of its current position. I would truly like to see a situation in which these misconceptions evaporated, and I can only see this happening with greater acceptance, but as long as the negatives are not cutting from both sides, it has to be a better state.

Comment

• twidget
        twidget commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice......

I never thought about it, but I'd say that it did make gaming worse.
      Games caught the attention of the mainstream media and are vilified for acts of violence, many more people play now and inevitably that brought in more retards to the hobby, companies started to dumb down their games to make them more accessible to a wider audience.
      I'd also wager to say that the increase in the number of people playing games was also somehow a reason for loot boxes to appear in-game, and also the reason for Denuvo and other crap like that, but I MIGHT be grasping at straws here...

It isn't ALL bad, but just most of it.

Comment

• Necromancerx69
        Necromancerx69 commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree.
        BUT, I only disagree with Denuvo, that was just made so Developers are the only ones getting money and not allowing people to pirate games.
        [ In simple words, it was made because GREED. I still dislike any developer using that crap on their games. ]

It's a double edged sword. The casting of a much, much wider net and making more money than the film industry is the root cause of all the insufferable elements of modern games culture and industry. Higher production values, more styles and genres, more distribution methods etc is a good thing, but there's a lot of bad that comes with it, so I think it cancels itself out.

I've been an enthusiast gamer since the 80's, and even though I still have a top 10-25 of all time favorites from the the late 80's to the early 2000's, that still hold up for me, I think games are better than ever in many ways, and there's more great games to play every month than I even realistically have time or money for.

Comment

The only thing I ever watched on G4TV was Electric Playground/EP Daily and Reviews on the Run/Judgement Day, and I didn't think they were fake. In fact the guy's still making videos if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/user/EPNetworkTV/videos

Did the "mainstreaming" of gaming ruin it? Eh, it changed things, some things for the worse. It's like saying did the mainstreaming of geek culture (sci fi, fantasy, comics, superheroes, etc) ruin it? Nah, but it produced a lot of shit. And it did some good things. For example, I can now tell people I play D&D and they don't think I'm a Satanist (a la 1980s).
        Last edited by aileron; 09-16-2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Yes, the more something becomes mainstream the more normies and SJWs infest it, those are the people who whine about violence and sexism.
          Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

• Cuzin_Ed
            Cuzin_Ed commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, and they are crawling all over the internet whining and ruining it. Just like they do with games. Dumb it down and stick some sort of nonsense in it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say mainstreaming ruined gaming, but it sure produced a whole lot of shit and troubling market trends. My biggest gripe with the current state of gaming is how the wider gaming audience doesn't seem to have any kind of standards, so a microtransaction filled sh*t show like COD: Black Ops 4 becomes a 2018 best seller and continues to print money even as Activision breaks its pre-release promises and adds ever more egregious microtransactions. That's another thing - there's no repercussions for publishers no matter what shady behavior they partake in. Activision can tell people no microtransactions in Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled, then patch them in barely a week after release. They straight up committed false advertising and yet, the game's review score hasn't changed, there's no lawsuits, no investigations, nothing. In any other industry, this kind of blatant anti-consumer behavior would get you raked over the coals.

And truthfully, I wouldn't care about any of this since I can just vote with my wallet and take my money to AA developers who don't do this. Except when these practices inevitably leak over into other spheres of gaming. That's what really boils my blood and gets me pissed off at the "normie" crowd. I shouldn't have to suffer because of others' poor decisions.

Comment

No, I don't think it has hurt it.
            The industry makes a huge amount of profit which helps with development.
            Indie games are also doing well.

It's also brought a lot of attention to it, good and bad.

Comment

All my typos are intentional
              I also make videos https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpvjyJGhppM0bExHo74vBsA

Comment

• Cuzin_Ed
                Cuzin_Ed commented
                Editing a comment
                I used to watch X-play as well. But X-play was from a different time in gaming. They used to hand out good scores to games like candy. These days someone in their basement with some audio and video hardware can do better reviews. Though some reviewers on YouTube are being bought like the old corporate reviewers. Hey! The next COD game is out 9/10 or 4.5/5. Go out and buy it now!

When X-play was on TV must have game culture was still alive. People were still running out and buying the new releases every few months.

• aileron
                aileron commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey I forgot about those two! Yeah I liked Attack of the Show a lot. X Play was ok. So that makes 4 shows I watched on it.

Originally posted by Latham View Post
              I never thought about it, but I'd say that it did make gaming worse.
              Games caught the attention of the mainstream media and are vilified for acts of violence, many more people play now and inevitably that brought in more retards to the hobby, companies started to dumb down their games to make them more accessible to a wider audience.
              I'd also wager to say that the increase in the number of people playing games was also somehow a reason for loot boxes to appear in-game, and also the reason for Denuvo and other crap like that, but I MIGHT be grasping at straws here...

It isn't ALL bad, but just most of it.
              Denuvo is just anti-piracy. The mainstreaming of games would be things like simplification, making games easier and more simple so they can appeal to a wider audience. They appeal to wider audience so they can make more money. They blame this on increased development costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Calico45 View Post
                I agree and disagree here. Obviously, I am glad the market grew and those that enjoy games benefit from that in the volume and quality of releases. We can argue that quality has suffered adversely as well (such as the "dumbing down" of difficulty, plot, etc.), but the more resources and parties that are involved in something, the more advancements that are made. One of the mentioned examples are computers, which are a world away from their predecessors because there was a private market for them. We might not like the strings attached, but we do still benefit from the increased marketability and at first glance there is nothing inherently adverse to having a wider audience from solely a numbers perspective.

My problem with the state gaming is currently in is that it is confined to the cross point that inflicts two sides of disadvantages. The disadvantages of being mainstream are already explored here, but it also still suffers from being "too niche" in the court of public opinion and regulation, deservedly so or not. Video games and their players still find themselves very much the black sheep of the entertainment industry, as they are not treated quite like any other form of entertainment. On one hand, the perception of video games being only for children, the immature, and irresponsible still persists despite it being a neutral form of entertainment and mature categories of games existing for years now. On the other, that mature section of content is actively crucified for both not being child friendly and generally being a vice. Examples of this would be censorship, rejection of the AO classification (it is a rating death sentence), supposed connections between violent video games and violent crime being scapegoted, inflated claims of gaming addiction/antisocial behavior, the mythos of toxic gamers/fans, and more. However, it does not have the same recognition, regulation, and acceptance as other vices such as drinking or gambling despite the associations.

Video gaming has basically become a vice treated like no other vice and entertainment treated like no other entertainment. Somehow it is something that is supposedly for children, yet not child friendly; immoral, yet not given its own breadth of acceptance as other vices. Such a contrasting, incompatible identity makes me doubt just how mainstream video games truly are, even though no one can deny how many more copies and consoles are being sold. Perhaps part of this odd stage is that a large portion of the new audience is not very knowledgeable of these issues and care very little. I suppose that fits a normal definition of "casual gamers," but regardless I namely want to see video games break out of its current position. I would truly like to see a situation in which these misconceptions evaporated, and I can only see this happening with greater acceptance, but as long as the negatives are not cutting from both sides, it has to be a better state.
                I think at some point people just need to get over it. People can think whatever they want about gaming. I don't need other people to see video games in a positive light to enjoy my chosen for of entertainment. I honestly don't give a damn what other people think about it. The same people that say those kind of things about video games have no issue with sitting their asses down in front of a TV for 3.5 hours a day or watching some movie or TV show filled violence, drug use, alcohol use, sex and nudity.

People were committing mass shootings long before video games were a thing. Violence is just a part of human nature.

IMO the mainstreaming and the increase in acceptance isn't worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuzin_Ed View Post

I think at some point people just need to get over it. People can think whatever they want about gaming. I don't need other people to see video games in a positive light to enjoy my chosen for of entertainment
                  The more someone tries to disavow something in public, the more I think they're trying to hide their own fondness of it. Like male feminists are more likely to be predators than the average man.

Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
                  Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

Working...
                  X