Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your thoughts on Blizzard after this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your thoughts on Blizzard after this year?

Blizzard has had a very bad year in terms of morality. They've stated that they believe all forms of speech are fine, but then we get a blitchung situation. They raised awareness of Pepe the Frog being used as a hate symbol by banning it on Overwatch and threatening consequences for those that used it, and they fired 800 people at the start of the year, seemingly just to save on money. Regardless of their business success, it's safe to say they could have done better this year by their now former employees by fans of their games, by their professional players, and even the right to freedom of speech in the United States where it is considered a right. Does any of that bother you? Does what happened with them this year or for that matter, their Diablo Immortal announcement last year make you think differently of them? Personally, I'm not okay with them firing people for the sake of saving money, giving over a meme of all things to hate groups, or stamping on someone's right of freedom of speech so I'm pretty sick of them, the NBA and Tencent.

I dislike them siding with a country known for human rights violations.
    But they have the right to do so, employees have the right to complain/leave and customers have the right to boycott.

I believe the reason they have done this is to make more money, that's probably the only reason.
    Another reason might be because China is a growing nation, which is growing at an insane rate, so they are trying to please our soon to be Chinese overlords.

But I for one look forward to bowing before my new Chinese overlord and pray they let me live a reasonable life.

All hail Winnie The Pooh.

Comment

It was already on the ground, I dismissed Blizzard as a company since they were bought by Activision.
      "Without Games, Life would be a Mistake" - All of the Founding Fathers, in unison.

Comment

I had no opinion of them before and I have no opinion of them now. I'm a gamer, I like games and I play the games I like. The company who makes them could eat babies for all I care. No corporation is whiter than white, so stop worrying and learn to love the games. All this faux outrage cancel culture is so tedious.

*boots up Borderlands 3*
        Iconoclast

Jeremy: ResetEra is a forum full of outrage merchants
        Also Jeremy: Join ExclusivelyGames, a forum full of outrage merchants

Comment

• Dub-Z
          Dub-Z commented
          Editing a comment
          I can mostly agree with that philosophy, though I probably would stop short of baby eaters.... then again, I do watch a lot of movies and Hollywood's not too far removed from that.

If I want to play something, I'm going to.

• Linkblade
          Linkblade commented
          Editing a comment
          Their actions may not influence your life now, but if enough people would think as you do, this could lead to many horrible things and THEN influencing your life. So I think, your "I don't care" opinion is dangerous. You are only good if enough people step up against them for you, while you sit back.

• Aidy
          Aidy commented
          Editing a comment
          Obviously if it impacts me then I'll probably have a different opinion, but a company who is probably just obeying the laws in another territory (don't quote me that that is what is happening, but I suspect it is) isn't going to put me off them. Companies that operate internationally often have to apply different rules in different locations, and depending on the location those rules may well offend the sensibilities of people in other locations. It's not for us to say that our countries and our laws are how every country should operate.

I dunno, Only thing I particularly don't understand was the hate symbol crap they pulled earlier. As for laying people off, Sucks but it happens. I assume they have their reasons beyond saving money though.

As for the recent thing with the freedom of speech, I think people misunderstand what freedom of speech really is. They're a company running their own tournament with their own set of rules. He violated those rules so he got banned. It's not entirely siding with anyone other than their self which is perfectly fine. If they had to take a side I'd still support them for taking China's side in that regard. They're trying to expand into China, And China isn't afraid to just outright ban Blizzard there if they wanted so Blizzard is put in a tough spot.
        Only assuming past this point but if they were to get banned in China they'd lose income and lose growth leading to more people getting fired because either way they'd lose money.

But either way, I play games I enjoy regardless of company.

Comment

• RepentantSky
          RepentantSky commented
          Editing a comment
          I mean, supporting a growing human right violation, among many other things in China, I don't know about that.

• RepentantSky
          RepentantSky commented
          Editing a comment
          Also want to add, that it was just about money when it comes to laying all those people off. Activision Blizzard came out with a record high quarterly income (and that was ending a year straight of record breaking income for them) then claimed that 800 of their 9600 hundred employees jobs were redundant, without actually explaining what that means, and poof, 800 people without a job.

• Linkblade
          Linkblade commented
          Editing a comment
          "He violated those rules so he got banned. It's not entirely siding with anyone other than their self which is perfectly fine."

Blizzard's statement that they support freedom of speech but everyone has to follow the rules is paradox, because that says "You can say what you want, but if anyone out there doesn't like it, you're screwed!". So you can't really say what you want. Freedom of speech means expressing ones opinion regardless of other people's opinions without fearing of any punishment, but that is exactly what happened. He wasn't rude or anything, he just explained his support for other people of a specific opinion. This should be legit for anyone anywhere! That this opinion is not liked by China shouldn't make Blizzard react to that and ban the player. This rule is the exact opposite of freedom of speech. This rule should be banned, not the one who broke it !!!

The last Blizzard games I played were Diablo III and a bit of Hearthstone. I'm not really their demographic anymore.

I think what they're doing right now is BS but I keep finding myself talking about geopolitics here when I'm trying not to.

Comment

I don't think it is Blizzard specifically. Any corporation will instantly drop their pretend morals if they think there is bigger fish to fry.
          Sadly morality won't net you profits in capitalism. Lack of morals do.

These Hollywood and Games companies pretend they care about woke culture, because they think that's how they expand their clientele. But as soon as there are 10 billion potential customers on the horizon inclusiveness and equality of outcome goes the way of the dodo. I mean they literally whitened the skin of black characters in some game to appeal to china. How effin sick is that? And these are the same companies preaching about toxic masculinity and inclusion domestically.
          Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
          Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

• Linkblade
            Linkblade commented
            Editing a comment
            "Any corporation will instantly drop their pretend morals if they think there is bigger fish to fry."
            Exactly! Morals don't work, money does! That is why the community has to punish Blizzard. We have to boycot that much so it threats them with a money loss bigger than what they smell possible in China. THAT would make Blizzard stand to their "morals".

I just want to see how blizzcon will go lol.
          ​​​​​​
          about these things corporations due what corporations due, as a consumer that is not my problem

Comment

• Balta666
            Balta666 commented
            Editing a comment
            "who do you think is the ruler of moral?"

NO-ONE. that is my fricking point

• Linkblade
            Linkblade commented
            Editing a comment
            Does moral exist for you, then?

Doesn't matter, my point is, if we sit back saying "I'm not the ruler of moral", we let bad things grow.

• Balta666
            Balta666 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I have morals but that does not mean I should impose it to others. That is being an adult

I think we have to boycot Blizzard that much so it threats them with a money loss bigger than what they smell possible in China. THAT would make Blizzard stand to their "morals". I think it is too dangerous to sit back and see how western companies get heavily influenced in their acting by specific countries. We have the obligation to prevent that in any way we can, be it not giving Blizzard money, influencing others to not give them money, not playing their games or hurting them with DDoS attacks (yes, that's not legal, but still the lesser evil compared to the gaming industry being a puppet of China and after all: if you fight extortion with legal actions it's very hard to win). The future of the gaming industry is in the players as a collective hands, our hands.

Edit: Best kind of protest: Bring a BIG Winnie the Pooh plush toy into the audience of Blizzcon and wave it into the camera! Let's see how Blizzard reacts to that!
          Last edited by Linkblade; 10-10-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

As a corporation designed to make money, they have the right to make these decisions if they so wish. Just as I have the right uninstall battlenet and no longer support them. At the end of the day if people complain about things like this while still paying for WOW subscriptions and loot boxes in Overwatch, I have no sympathy.
            'All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain'

Comment

• Linkblade
              Linkblade commented
              Editing a comment
              Blizzard has actively disabled all four authentication methods to keep people from deleting their battle.net account. Deleting a Blizzard account is only possible now via Blizzard's help service, which won't delete any accounts. I don't know if they as a corporation have the right to do this, but as you said, we have the right to not support Blizzard. Twitter #BoycottBlizzard is full of WoW subscription cancellation and client uninstall screenshots *thumbs up* also there are Overwatch stickers peeled off, advertisment to switch from Overwatch to Paladins and such stuff... and my call to arms to carry a little plush bear to Blizzcon ;-)

• TheMetalOtaku
              TheMetalOtaku commented
              Editing a comment
              Linkblade Wow. Didn't know they were stopping people from deleting accounts. Glad I was never that big a fan in the first place.

• Aidy
              Aidy commented
              Editing a comment
              They claim that's just a glitch that they're "working on".

Utter garbage I will not give my money to.
            Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

Interesting thread but where's Cuzin_Ed?
              In this thread he could call somebody an SJW and be right.
              Last edited by twidget; 10-10-2019, 05:56 PM.
              Exclusively Games, the Fallout 76 of game forums.

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

• Balta666
                Balta666 commented
                Editing a comment
                It is hard when he does not really understand the meaning of it in the first place lol

In my (probably popular opinion, which everyone is sick of hearing) Blizzard has not been the same Blizzard we remember for many long years. The last good product they released was Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne. Starcraft 2 was just "OK" and Diablo 3 was a disaster at launch and only became "OK" with the expansion and its loot overhaul. I can't speak for WoW and Overwatch. I played Overwatch open beta and decided it was not for me then and there. WoW I never touched.

I WAS planning to buy Warcraft 3: Reforged, since I really loved WC3 back in its heyday, but now I'll have to think about it. Not only have they managed to piss off a lot of gamers, they managed the seemingly impossible - uniting both the Democrats and Republicans (senators) who both shit on them publicly. Even Epic Games with the dungfly Tim Sweeney added a cherry to the top of this shitcake. It would almost be poetic if it wasn't so utterly disgusting.

Comment

• Balta666
                Balta666 commented
                Editing a comment
                You need to remember there is no blizzard. It is Activision nowadaya

• Linkblade
                Linkblade commented
                Editing a comment
                Even Epic Games with the dungfly Tim Sweeney added a cherry to the top of this shitcake.
                Epic supports everyone's right to express their views on politics and human rights. We wouldn't ban or punish a Fortnite player or content creator for speaking on these topics.
                (from https://www.businessinsider.de/epic-...9-10?r=US&IR=T)
                Wow I didn't knew that! It's ugly to rub salt into Blizzard's wound, but I really appreciate and respect this statement of Epic Games. And that is although Tencent has a 40% share on Epic! In comparison to Blizzard's 5% Tencent ownership that's a big deal!

I've still never played a Blizzard game, and I don't plan on changing that.

Unless I find an old copy of Diablo 2 for very cheap that still works I guess.
              Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

• Balta666
                Balta666 commented
                Editing a comment
                Go play lost Vikings right now

• Linkblade
                Linkblade commented
                Editing a comment
                Grim Dawn >>> Diablo
                Just try Grim Dawn. It's from the same dudes that brought out Titan Quest. I enjoy Grim Dawn more than D3, even more than D2!

• Star Magician
                Star Magician commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the recommendations

They created great games, and I played most of them (expect WoW), and I'm glad that they finished StarCraft II storyline. After the founders left, I kinda feared that it just wouldn't be the same, and they became the living embodiment of the phrase "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain", and after the founders and several key people left, they kinda became the villain. Sad
              For old, new and even obscure game reviews, visit:

https://colapoweredgamer.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
              X