Buyer's Remorse Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buyer's Remorse Thread

What are some games you've recently purchased or purchased in the past that you REALLY wish you hadn't. It can be for any reason really.

I'll go first.

Spyro the Dragon: Reignited Trilogy. It's not a bad game per se, but the game literally went on sale for $12 bucks essentially a month after the PC release. Fuuuuuuuucccckkkk yoooooooouuuuuuuuu Activision!

XCOM 2. I really liked the original xcom games and I had seen reviews that this one included a timing mechanic that upped the pace of the game, and it didn't sound like something I would enjoy but I was itching to play another xcom game so I bought it. Absolutely hated the timing mechanic and stopped playing it after a few missions. I essentially forced you to be aggressive and risky, always running into problems blind, leaving yourself with no AP etc. It just made it too random for me.
    Iconoclast

Jeremy: ResetEra is a forum full of outrage merchants
    Also Jeremy: Join ExclusivelyGames, a forum full of outrage merchants

Comment

• Necromancerx69
      Necromancerx69 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Aidy
      Awww, I didn't expect you to get it for the Xbox that sucks to be honest (damn console companies not supporting mods).
      Still, if you ever have the chance to play it on the Pc, try mods.

• Necromancerx69
      Necromancerx69 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Hyperweasle
      OOF, sad but true. xD

[ Well except the chosen mechanic, I actually like that kind of nemesis like system. ]

• MadMummy76
      MadMummy76 commented
      Editing a comment
      Why am I not surprised that you think a game I think is actually the best game I ever played, is bad?
      Unless you play it on legendary it's a breeze, yes even the limited turn missions. Plus only about one in every 5 missions is like that anyway.

Or if you talk about the avatar project timer, that's never an issue. If you know what you're doing (don't do missions that reduce the avatar progress until you have to) it's impossible to fail.

Plus playing a strategy game on xbox, now I can understand why you hate the entire word, especially pc gamers.

I don't regret any games I buy, because I buy so few.
    I always tend to wait a few months before buying games, it lets me get a proper look at it through YouTube and I'm able to see whether I would enjoy it or not.

​​​​​​

Comment

• TheMetalOtaku
      TheMetalOtaku commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm trying to adopt a similar sort of mentality, but I'm still getting sucked into the hype of certain games and then getting instant regret after I've bought them.

I bought Valkyria Chronicles 4 on sale, sinks 4 hours in

2 days later an edition of the game+DLCs are announced and the price of the base version plummeted

Comment

Quite a few:

1- Assassin's Creed Unity (Deluxe Edition): The biggest flop of my life, I pre-ordered because of the hype, and ended with an unplayable turd and couldn't even get a refund or a free game they had promised.

2- 60 Seconds!: AKA, "Random chance hates me". The core idea is good, but everything depends on random chance and is always against you.

3- Orion Trail: Exact same problem as above and less fun.

4- Stealth Bastard Deluxe: What an unfair game. I don't even remember buying it, but regret nonetheless.
      "Without Games, Life would be a Mistake" - All of the Founding Fathers, in unison.

Comment

• Dub-Z
        Dub-Z commented
        Editing a comment
        I love Stealth Bastard / Stealth Inc. And the sequel.

Mmmm... "Total War: Rome 2" comes first to mind when I think about wasted money. It was unplayable on release week, and even had performance issues after a month of patching. I've been told it's a good game now, but somehow I never got to reinstalling it after the release fiasco.

The F.E.A.R series of games went downhill really fast. The initial game was very climatic, scary and very good. Already the expansion to it showed signs of a lack of polish in the end product and the 2 subsequent games - FEAR 2 & 3 were just moneygrabs in my opinion.

I am generally very good at detecting stink around a game prior to its release, but rarely even with being vigilant about things I fall on a sword of my own making.

Comment

Video games I regret buying:

)> Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
        [ My main issue with this game it's the speed of a fucking snail. ]

)> The Bureau: Xcom Declasified
        [The controls are awful and no pause when giving orders to your men. ]

)> Command and Conquer 4
        [ Look how they massacred my boy... T - T ]

)> Divinity Dragon Commander
        [ Horrible balance and infested with SJW crap. ]

)> The first Dungeons game
        [ The main problem it's needing to get the heroes fat (let them get gold), then kill them. Why I hate this? You cannot use traps otherwise you will kill the heroes before they even reach the gold and you cannot build traps instantly when they try to head back to the exit with all the gold they got. Simply the worst dungeon management game ever designed. ]

)> Nether
        [ Do I even need to say anything? Nothing more than broken promises. ]

)> Space Pirates and Zombies
        [ I know some people like this or love the game. But my problem it's that I cannot read the bloody text cause it's to damn small and there is no options or mod to make the text bigger (I tried). ]

)> Endless Space
        [ People love this game but I hate it. Mostly because the only strategy it's just Fat ship on the front, Dps ship on the back and win the game. It's not fun, just play the superior Sins of a Solar Empire. ]

)> Reigns
        [ Just why people like this? It's repetitive and gets boring extremely fast. ]

)> The walking dead: a new frontier (TTG)
        [ My main problem it's with the story (I don't care about the town, lets leave god damn it), the worst of the walking dead stories by ttg to be honest. ]

These are the only games I regret buying from the top of my head, if I remember more I will post it later.
        ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
        Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

Only major one that comes to mind is Rock Band 4 (with all the instruments) at launch.
          Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

• Necromancerx69
            Necromancerx69 commented
            Editing a comment
            You could add DJ Hero to the list.
            So much potential wasted.

I bought Wolfenstein The New Colossus. I got The New Order and The Old Blood on Steam for $15 during s sale. I like them both so I figured The New Colossus would be good. I watched the trailer for it and the talk about area 52 and aliens had me pretty excited. I figured Aliens, area 51/52 and crazy alien technology would fit in with Wolfenstein. Instead what I got was a lot of cringe inducing SJW garbage, terrible gameplay decisions and horribly unbalanced difficulty. Not the cool idea I had come up with. They really missed the opportunity with that.

I regret buying that game everyday. I paid $60 for it a day or so after it was released. Worst $60 I ever spent.

Comment

Greedfall. Though the game is pretty decent, it shipped with a game-breaking bug that took them a month to fix and in the end they started trying to gaslight players into believing it was something they had done to break the game, rather than admit it had released that way. The devs' behavior and complete lack of concern for the many people who had this problem ruined the experience for me and now that the game is finally patched, I can't bring myself to care enough to finish playing.

Comment

The Last of Us.

Comment

Dark Souls III
                I almost never buy AAA games and when I do it's never on release, but this one time I wanted to be on board of the hype train to feel like I'm with the internet crowd, what everyone is doing right now, be in the present, not hanging around in years old games, what I usually do, so I bought on release. Bad idea. I sank 80€ in a game I didn't like and played 2.1 hours so I couldn't return it. I very much regret this. But I hope that someday, my mistake will be lessened by someone who wants to play it with me on the couch.
                Last edited by Linkblade; 10-14-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I regret buying any Tomb Raider game besides the first in this current reboot series. The first one was fantastic, but then it borrowed to many elements from Uncharted, which originally borrow elements from older Tomb Raider games, that it lost it's identity as a series, and it seems like Square or Crystal Dynamics didn't see it as a proper competitor series because the budget to make that so was clearly now there, hence a lot of quick resolution writing and and a lot off screen deaths of characters that Uncharted would have at least made sure you saw. It's the Crystal Dynamics way to do things like this, but that doesn't mean that I enjoyed it.

Comment

Space sims.

I keep buying them, and I really want to like the genre ,but I can't get myself to enjoy it.
                    Sins of the Solar Empire
                    Starport Gemini
                    Galactic Civilizations 1 & 2
                    Fractured Space
                    Endless Space

Comment

• Borghir
                      Borghir commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Are you asking if I've got that one too? Or are you recommending it?

• Linkblade
                      Linkblade commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Borghir I don't like space sims, but action games and EVERSPACE worked for me. That is an interesting intense fast-paced dogfight rogue-like 6dof shooter with resource management, upgrade system, a cool and unpredictable story and much replay value. You'll read that it's grindy. It's not if you're good. I made it through on my 7th try and after that it gets even more challenging. I can only recommend it. Especially if you're seemingly not into pure simulation and not into too much management.
                      Last edited by Linkblade; 10-15-2019, 10:04 AM.

• Borghir
                      Borghir commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks guys. I've added them to my isthereanydeal.com wishlist and will purchase them when there's a good deal.

Originally posted by Borghir View Post
                    Space sims.

I keep buying them, and I really want to like the genre ,but I can't get myself to enjoy it.
                    Sins of the Solar Empire
                    Starport Gemini
                    Galactic Civilizations 1 & 2
                    Fractured Space
                    Endless Space
                    I feel you. A lot of those games are so big that they just become boring, like it's an insurmountably task to conquer or explore the whole thing. Starpoint Gemini is probably the exception.
                    "Without Games, Life would be a Mistake" - All of the Founding Fathers, in unison.

Comment

Working...
                    X