No announcement yet.

Buyer's Remorse Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full price game it comes to mind tales of Vesperia that I trade in after a couple of weeks and about 5 hours in. The gameplay did not click with me although I love JRPGs and the story is just boring.

But I (like many would add) buy games on sale for a few bucks and half of the time I end up putting no more than a few hours are:

Bloodstained curse of the moon - I just don't like classic Castlevania... I don't know I went in the hype...

Saturday morning RPG - this is something I don't say many times as I really don't care about graphics but this games looks so bad I could not play it

Child of light - this one I cannot explain but I just couldn't pass the first hour and ended playing something else

Finally games I played for a while (5-10h) and finished some of them but I really don't see the praise in them:

Super meat boy - floaty and boring (finished the main story)

Bastion - boring gameplay and I cannot follow the narrator as he speaks mostly over gameplay (finished campaign)

Cave story - is not a a good metroidvania and the gameplay is sub par (gave up at certain point)

​​​​​​​Blossom tales - I really don't see how people compare it to LTTP. Uninspired Cash grab.
    ​​​

Comment

• Linkblade
      Linkblade commented
      Editing a comment
      Balta666 did you try any of the hard dark level versions in Super Meat Boy? I can agree that the story is boring (almost the same as in NES Super Mario Bros.), but the challenging gameplay difficulty is awesome, no?

Also, Cave Story's end boss on hard difficulty was a really tough one and I enjoyed the game as a whole! But I can agree that it's not a good metroidvania. There's almost always only one way you can go or have to go. What is your favorite metroidvania?
      Last edited by Linkblade; 10-15-2019, 10:13 AM.

• Balta666
      Balta666 commented
      Editing a comment
      Linkblade on meat boy I tried hard mode but did not put more than half an hour on it because my problem with it is the gameplay as it is to slippery and floaty. I like very hard platformers like Celeste for instance but this one does not click with me.

Cave story I never beat but I put probably 6-8h so I should probably be at least half way. My favourite metroidvanias are hollow knight, metroid zero mission (but I love also super metroid) and axiom verge

• Linkblade
      Linkblade commented
      Editing a comment
      Balta666 have you played through the new Celeste Farewell DLC yet? It's super hard and requires some new mechanics to beat. Wavedash, (Dash-Walljump) and all the jellyfish tricks. Pretty awesome!

Nice pick of metroidvanias! Super Metroid is THE metroidvania. I still have memories of little me being anxiously disturbed by Mother Brain with its horrifying music and what happened there. Metroid Zero Mission is one of my favorites as well! Also some nightmarish memories, hehe. I didn't like Hollow Knight that much because it's too easy and has boring movement options, won't play it's sequel, but I admit it's a very good metroidvania. Axiom Verge I still need to play, but I read it's "Backtracking: The Game", so I hesitate to start.

X Rebirth.
    I bought that when it first came out.
    Total trash, buggy, resource hog, badly designed. Overall terrible game.
    After a long debate with Steam support, they gave me a refund.

Comment

Linkblade I tried Celeste's farewell but I cannot do it anymore. I have beaten all side B chapters a year ago but now I can't do some of the moves anymore and is too hard to come back. Actually I disagree with this one being that brutal as everyone deserves to see the store end.

Did you finish hollow knight? The game is the dark souls of metroidvanias and by far the hardest of them I played. Also you start with not many options but half way through you are a total ninja with dash's, jumps, etc.

About the he backtracking that is the motto of metroidvanias anyway and I actually find it fun to revisit areas with new power ups (the artstyle is hard on the eye at first but the story unfolds around it and is very cool. I recommend it.

​​​
      Last edited by Balta666; 10-15-2019, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• Linkblade
        Linkblade commented
        Editing a comment
        I luckily started with Celeste just before the DLC was released so I could directly play it when I was through the main story. Well, the story of Farewell is not that big of a deal to unravel. If you want to know what's going on you can watch a Let's Play or I could just tell you in two sentences. But I would argue that this DLC is only for those who urge for more and a harder challenge.

Yes, I finished Hollow Knight! Even with over 100% completion. I'd argue it's far from difficult ("Dark Souls"). I'd say it's for kids. Only the dream versions of bosses were challenging. And the only hard platform section was in the White Palace in an optional secret stage that was about two Super Meat Boy levels long... I was underwhelmed. The platforming difficulty options in the game are limited, because e.g. there is no acceleration of movement or other things to handle. The movement is pretty basic. The main thing about Hollow Knight imo is exploring. The sad but rich bug story, loot, secrets, quests, achievements. It does that really good! But I'm not into that so much. For me HK was a boring experience.

Ok, thanks for the suggestion of Axiom Verge! I will check it out!

• Balta666
        Balta666 commented
        Editing a comment
        I would not qualify a metroidvania on its platforming sections as it is not its focus (combat and exploration). And definitely you are a better gamer than me because that game kicks my arse on the main story and I have no interest in doing the extra content lol

Witcher 1. The combat was just too horrible for me to enjoy the rest of the game.

Comment

• JackofTears
        JackofTears commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you play it in Isometric mode? Most of the people I hear complain about this played it in the other mode, which sucks. As an isometric game it is fantastic and the combat is very solid.

• mmetalfan
        mmetalfan commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't even know there was an isometric mode. May have to give it another shot...

• WickedWolf
        WickedWolf commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. Although if the isometric mode JackofTears mentioned is good enough, I might try it again.

I can't think of any recent examples but I can tell you my most severe gaming related cases of buyers remorse.

DayZ (standalone) - Bought it the day it released on STEAM. Spent an hour trying to join a server but it kept disconnecting before I could get in. When I finally got in the game was so plagued with bugs that I quit. I didn't get a refund though because I thought... you know... early access... they may need the money to keep developing it. After more than 5 years of developement it finally came out of early access and even now it still doesn't have as many features as the free mod did for ArmA 2. And they sold more than 3 million copies at $20-30 each, so many many millions of dollars in profit, almost none of which was plowed into developement (it couldn't be or the game wouldn't suck so much).

Total War Rome 2 - Even after all the bugs were fixed I still find it boring and soulless. Wish I never bought it. Wished I got a refund the same day I bought it.

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Came out the same year as Rome 2, same level of disappointment. I read some articles about it in PC Gamer magazine many years before it released and, as a fan of the Alien world, it got me very excited. They said it would be the kind of game where you could give orders to your fellow marines, a kind of tactical layer on top of a FPS. It looked and sounded great. Then Randy Pitchford showed the famous E3 footage of the game which looked great, but which was fake footage and looked totally different to the final game. This, and Rome 2, taught me never to pre-order games or even to purchase on day 1 without first doing some proper research and watching reviews from trusted reviewers. At least we got the best Alien game ever, Alien Isolation, shortly after.

Comment

Bloodborne.

Because no can git gud. I can't even beat cleric beast. And shortly after i bought the disc it became free from ps+.

Fallout 4.

To much settlement building involved to progress properly through the game.

Comment

• Aidy
          Aidy commented
          Editing a comment
          That settlement building was very tedious. When I started to get an inkling about how many settlements there were, I just ignored them. I got two inhabitants and turned off the recruitment beacon, I made sure they had enough beds and resources and then I set up of them up to do supply lines and that was that.

The only things I can think of are the one or two trash games in Humble Bundles that were lumped with games that I actually wanted. Still saved money getting the bundle, but now I have some games I won't ever play like Hunie Pop, for instance. I tried the game just for kicks and hated the characters too much to continue.

Comment

• Thomas_JCG
          Thomas_JCG commented
          Editing a comment
          I tried to play just to see what the fuzz was about, gave up the second the character opened her mouth. What a terrible dub.

• Linkblade
          Linkblade commented
          Editing a comment
          When getting a humble bundle I only activate the keys I want to play. I don't activate the others and leave them to rot in my humble library.

The marketing for Hitman: Absolution was extremely well produced, and very deceptive since they went out of their way to showcase the one or two levels in the entire game that play somewhat like Hitman levels. That's my biggest buyer's remorse because I paid the equivalent of $60 for that one. Another one despite being cheap is Republic Commando on GoG because almost every aspect of that game's design and PC porting is irredeemable garbage so it's not worth a penny.

Comment

• TheMetalOtaku
          TheMetalOtaku commented
          Editing a comment
          Spot on about Hitman. Huge dissapointment.

• mmetalfan
          mmetalfan commented
          Editing a comment
          Same for me. Absolution was a disappointment for a lot of fans of the series.

I bought Disco Elysium because it looked really good, with an interesting gameplay and story... Only to be saddled with a game that does nothing but spout half-baked existentialism at me. Literally didn't even made out of the intro before being overwhelmed by the cringe.
        "Without Games, Life would be a Mistake" - All of the Founding Fathers, in unison.

Comment

Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice:

This game makes 0 sense from beginning to end. The combat is clunky, the puzzles are annoying, and the main characters is poorly designed. A waste of time for me.

Until Dawn:

I bought this because I thought it might’ve been an interesting horror story. Nope. Basically the same as every other horror movie featuring teens, and the branching paths don’t do enough to save it. I ended up killing everyone in that game out of sheer frustration.
          I wish I could love anything as much as I hate everything
          I also make videos https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpvjyJGhppM0bExHo74vBsA

Comment

• Linkblade
            Linkblade commented
            Editing a comment
            WickedWolf :O I loved Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice! Why did you play it to the end if you didn't enjoy it?

• WickedWolf
            WickedWolf commented
            Editing a comment
            Linkblade I wanted to see how it ended, and it was incredibly disappointing and didn’t make any sense. It was also a fairly short game.

• Linkblade
            Linkblade commented
            Editing a comment
            WickedWolf It does make sense. The struggle of Senua can't be overcome and the solution of a mentally ill person is to live with its dark sides. That is the same deeper meaning as in Celeste's story. You don't got your sweet victory at the end you thought you could achieve. But that feeling is exactly what they want you to have to better understand what being mentally ill must be like. Hellblade is short, but I think it is a very good presentation of how a mentally ill person experiences the world. I got more understanding for such people after having played Hellblade.

Divinity Original Sin 2 and Kingdom Come Deliverance. Both decent games, but alas, both too difficult for my dumbass brain.
          'All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain'

Comment

South Park Stick of Truth.
            Ended up not liking the humor even though I thought I would. Also the 30fps limit made me nauseous at times from how the characters and backrounds moved with each other. At that point it was too late for me to refund. However I was able to get through it though but not was a very fun time for me...

Comment

• Thomas_JCG
              Thomas_JCG commented
              Editing a comment
              People always throw endless praise to anything Obsidian does.

I want to buy Magnus skin in fortnite. This is one of the expensive but also cool skin.

Comment

Spore - Was touted as going to be a massive and expansive game but really was nothing special. Extremely disappointing mid and late game.

Rome 2 - Promised as going to be bigger and badder than ever before with massive scale and detail. Streamlined to all hell making it childish in its simplicity and ontop of that broken to all hell months after release.

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Marketed to be an immersive shooter and revealed as a hot trash fire. Never fixed officially and I reject the AI fix as a resolution, the game looks and plays entirely different to what was shown.

Comment

Red Dead Redemption 2- people will likely disagree with me on this, but I find this game boring as watching fucking tress grow. Only cost me £20, but still.....for that much I could've picked a bottle of Jack and had a much more entertaining time.
                Nights of Azure 2- I paid full price for this on a whim. I'm a fucking fool for doing so.

Comment

• Aidy
                  Aidy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  *clutches pearls*
              Working...
              X