Daily Poll 242 Discussion: Critic vs Audience reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 242 Discussion: Critic vs Audience reviews

Last Daily Poll was on mods. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...o-you-use-mods

Reviews are something a lot of people don't really care about. Livestreams, gameplay videos and word of mouth are good enough for a lot of gamers these days. The big sites are still hanging on by a few threads and they're still pumping out reviews for all the latest games. A lot are out of touch and come from people who are either tepid about games or outright hate them. They do get a lot of flack for being bad or written to earn brownie points with the corporations for early access and ads. I stay away from reviews on big sites unless I feel like having a laugh over the perfect prose of game journos. That is just me what do you think? This is inspired by the Death Stranding reviews which a lot of critics didn't like. One magazine couldn't even publish their review on the embargo date since they had to beat and couldn't even be bothered to.

Check out the Daily Poll Archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Which Daily Poll is best?

17.65%
    0%
    11.76%
    0%
    I like them all
    41.18%
    They're all garbage
    17.65%
    The ones isturbo1984 made
    11.76%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

People not thinking for themselves and following either critics or the crowd are equally lemming like, and the audience can be just as myopic, but at least they aren't getting paid to do it and aren't held up as an authority the way critics are.

Comment

Professional critics of any media are always out of touch with the general audience, so they should never be relied upon.
      Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

Critics are shills, wait for the mass consensus and select few YTber reviewers you trust.

Also, how dare you not include 42 in the poll?

Comment

• Jokerthefoolio
          Jokerthefoolio commented
          Editing a comment
          That is such a dead meme

Take every review with a pinch of salt. Don't trust what other people say, unlike most reviewers I don't think Kojima games are better than sex or sliced bread. Sliced bread is amazing.

I wait until the game is cheap and then buy it. I might even watch a bit of a play through on youtube.

Comment

The so called "professionals" are incompetent and unreliable, biased to no end and care more for political statement than anything else.

The overwhelming majority of consumers are whiny fanboys who will praise or criticize things regardless of their actual quality.

Bottom line, you can only trust yourself.

Also, why even make a poll if the choices don't reflect the questioning? Just make a normal thread.
          "Without Games, Life would be a Mistake" - All of the Founding Fathers, in unison.

Comment

• Jokerthefoolio
            Jokerthefoolio commented
            Editing a comment
            I make polls for the memes. Pls no bully thx

I prefer reviews from regular users/players. The issue is a lot of reviewers can't be trusted these days. When all they care about is how woke a game is.

Comment

The reviews of Death Stranding I read seemed fairly decent, nothing struck me as out of the ordinary. That game in particular does seem like it is bound to be rather divisive and not for everyone, so maybe not the best example to use, I fully expect to see wildly differing opinions on that game, it really is the type of game where you're just going to know if it's for you or not.
            Iconoclast

Jeremy: ResetEra is a forum full of outrage merchants
            Also Jeremy: Join ExclusivelyGames, a forum full of outrage merchants

Comment

I stopped listening to critics after this blasphemy of my FAVORITE game. Now I only listen to youtubers reviews or steam reviews.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	619.png
Views:	68
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	72614
              ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
              Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

• Cuzin_Ed
                Cuzin_Ed commented
                Editing a comment
                I have that game. But the only thing that disappointed me about the Pokémon games was how easy they are. I was expecting more of a challenge along the lines of something you would see from a traditional JRPG.

• Magvel
                Magvel commented
                Editing a comment
                This meme sucks because these games do have too much water areas, as petty as making it a main negative point is.

• Thomas_JCG
                Thomas_JCG commented
                Editing a comment
                Same reason I left IGN for good.

Even though I review things from time to time and put those out in the internet for people to see, I always say don't follow reviews. Professional reviewers often either go the flow or go against it to get media attention, and the rest of the time, what they say doesn't match their scores. When the rest of us do reviews, it's a bit more honest, but people review bomb pretty much everything these days, so it's impossible to take them seriously, one way or another. The only opinion you can really trust is your own, and even though that means you will purchase something from to time that you hate, it doesn't mean that you were wrong to do it, because you learned something your preferences because of it. People make worse financial choices then buying a game they don't like every single day, so don't so be afraid to make some that you might not be happy about later. We always act like it's the end of world, when it really isn't.

Comment

I frequently look at fan reviews on Steam before buying a product. It only requires a little critical thought and some common sense to weed out the bs reviews and ignore them. You will find many very authentic and honest reviews amidst the few dozen trolls and haters. Then I go to the forum page and read what people are saying there. If a Youtuber whose opinion I trust has posted I review, I then take a minute to watch one or two of those. All of these things do I take into consideration before buying the game, but fan-reviews are a vital part of that process because it is there that fans have the opportunity to speak out about problems that the shill-media will gloss over or misrepresent; it is there that fans have a voice.

That said, there's always the possibility that you'll run into morons and get bad feedback - if you listened to the fans in the 'Outer Worlds' forum on Steam, you'd think the game was utter shit and a waste of your time, yet I found the game to be quite enjoyable and am already on my second playthrough. It helps, of course, that I refused to buy it from Epic and instead rented it for a month from 'Xbox Gamepass for PC' and didn't pay $60 like the assholes who can't be bothered to stand with gamers and actually use the Epic bullshit store.

Comment

• Cuzin_Ed
                  Cuzin_Ed commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I also like reviews from small time Youtubers. Though you have to be careful cause a lot of the bigger reviewers can be corrupt.

In general I don't care about big sites reviews but definitely couldn't care less about user reviews because people on the internet are idiots with a microphone. I tend to think for my head, see the comments from trusted YouTube channels and check occasionally written reviews from people I learned to trust.

P.s:give us the choices back!

Comment

Oh man. isturbo...
                  Seeing his name on the poll triggered my PTSD
                  https://www.dragonflycave.com/wpay/pikachu.gif

My Profile > Edit Settings > Account Tab > Scroll down to "Conversational Detail Options" > Click the Link > Eat a cookie

Comment

I used to read RockPaperShotgun, because it's cool that they write their specific opinion and not a generic one, but I noticed, that noone of them is that kind of player which I am. I like fast-paced intense hard difficulty games. Those game journalists tend to like the lesser skill-based slow thinking story-rich games. Except maybe Dominic Tarason, but he doesn't contribute to RPS that much anymore. So I went on. I follow him on Twitter to extract his indie gem findings, though.

Reviews from big gaming magazine websites like IGN, PCGamer or such I don't like because they have no character, they are just generic. They assume that every game can be for every person, it just has to be good enough. But this assumption is wrong. They rate and give each game a score and if the score is high enough they consider it a "MUST PLAY" which is totally dumb. An individual can dislike what the majority loves and an individual can like what the majority hates so I don't see the point of reading their generic reviews.

I still like to read thoughts of individual players. So I browse the Steam reviews and try to make up which kind of persons they are and if they are like me. I read negative reviews and consider if the described downsides would bother me, if not, that's good for me. I read positive reviews and consider if I would enjoy the described upsides and if I would enjoy them enough to make the time invest on this game worth it. That's about how far reviews influence my choice.

Comment

Your poll options are the square root of -1.

I don't read detailed reviews anymore. They're biased or out right paid for shite. I do like seeing aggregate scores though, best when separated into an aggregate of "professional reviewer" scores and an aggregate of user scores. I trust the user scores more and feel like a great number of them will reduce biases, review bombing, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X