Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 243: Is Kojima a good developer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I looked up which games Kojima made since I didn't know. On Wikipedia I am displayed a wall of text lines each beginning with "Metal Gear". I never played any Metal Gear game, so I can't really make a point here. I bought Metal Gear: Revengeance since it shall play similar to Devil May Cry, but I still need to get to it.

Comment

• Garrett
      Garrett commented
      Editing a comment
      Metal Gear Rising is not affiliated with Kojima. And lo and behold it actually has well developed gameplay mechanics that support every aspect of player engagement with enemies, bosses and level design. Kinda like how a videogame should be made huh.

• Irritablesquid
      Irritablesquid commented
      Editing a comment
      His games are ok, if you can get any of them for cheap then go for it.
      I personally think he is over hyped.

• Dub-Z
      Dub-Z commented
      Editing a comment
      Metal Gear Rising is a bad ass action game and Platinum Games is one of my favorite developers, but it's a shame they couldn't really implement the original "cut everything" tech and concept: https://youtu.be/FMdu_dUzjfE

Kojima picking them to handle the game was a good call though. It gave them a high profile paycheck and portfolio in their early years after disbanding Clover studios and leaving Capcom.
      Last edited by Dub-Z; 11-06-2019, 06:58 PM.

Yes, although I think he should do what he's always wanted and make a movie next. So we don't get another literal glorified walking simulator when he wants to express how hard carrying everything on your back is until you make some connections.

Very deep, such art, much wow.
    Google Stadia - "Shortly after launch"

Comment

The sheer fact that Dub-Z thinks God of War isn't good because it had a similar ending to Soul Reaver is completely laughable. The games ending could have been Kratos wiping his ass and its still a masterpiece and surpasses Soul Reaver in terms of gameplay and quality. This is taking to account when Soul Reaver came out, that game did nothing new for gaming except have a decent story. The game itself was a basic hack/slash at the time. God of War minus the story is still one of the best made games ever made in comparison.

Kojima was a good developer for the PS1 and PS2, since then its been a rough ride. His contribution to gaming was Metal Gear Solid and showed gaming can be more than a textbook of words that one has to read in order to have a good story. Metal Gear on PS1 was a technological masterpiece and it shot Kojima to the stratosphere. That being said, the guy is Japanese and his stories have always had horrific plot holes and difficult to follow. I'm not sure if that is a loss in translation or just bad writing, its probably both. He made 3 good games, MGS4 was okay and 5 was pure trash. Konami had the right idea with Kojima, milk it because he just doesn't have it anymore. Honestly, even PT was a walking simulator and nearly impossible to solve the puzzles. People heap praise on such bad game design for whatever reason but the last Kojima game I played that I actually enjoyed was Snake Eater. People peak early and live trying to reach that same level of success Kojima seems to be in that position.

Comment

• Garrett
        Garrett commented
        Editing a comment
        It may look like "bad game design" at first, until you realize that what you're looking at isn't a game. P.T was a viral marketing campaign and the whole reason why the puzzles were astronomically improbable for a player to solve was to force people to talk about them so that as a group they'd finally solve them. That doesn't really make it much better though. It's just a successful implementation of an old and easy concept.

• Dub-Z
        Dub-Z commented
        Editing a comment
        God of War is full of recycled enemies and bosses, only the main realm and the night elf realm are fully baked and realized locations, the RPG systems are cumbersome to the point that they dillute the action game pedigree of the series, the overworld is full of backtracking and travel time which makes replays tedious since the game is designed and balanced around the idea that you will be exploring.

The original trilogy had so much more momentum, righteous fury, variety and spectacle. It also wasn't a story about a character who's ashamed of himself and of his own games. The entire concept of the game is just a manifestation of Cory Barlog's age related decrease in testosterone, and was a reactionary response to criticism from games media who never liked Kratos. It's like the Rian Johson and Kathleen Kennedy treatment that Luke Skywalker got.

Combat wise it's just Resident Evil 4 without guns, which is one of the clunkiest things you could conceive of. That's why the gameplay requires a temporary invincibility mechanic. This peripheral claustrophobia makes for great cinematic verve but it doesn't make for ideal melee combat... which it's spectacle fighter predecessors and peers were better at providing.

And yeah, the ending was just a rip off of Soul Reaver, with a "time is cyclical, it was written" cliffhanger that doesn't provide a satisfying resolution and third act. Like all the other corner cutting in the game, it feels like a cop out, where they wouldn't have to actually finish the story after restarting development and burning through too much of Sony's money / patience.

Soul Reaver also pioneered streaming load times, which is what makes the one take camera shot concept of God of War even work. The PS2 entry was hack n slash. The original was a Zelda style adventure game with an interconnected world full of puzzles, and the way you could shift between dimensions to warp the geometry in real time was groundbreaking, extremely ambitious. It's not even one of my favorite games it's just a fact that God of War is derivative of it.

God of War '18 is a great game, one of the best that year, and does some very cool things, but it's not all it's cracked up to be and never was critically assailed the way other games are. Permanent honeymoon phase.

Either way, my point wasn't that God of War is trash, it was that if video game writing in the 90's was a low bar and that seminal works are just going to be invalidated, then what's considered masterful storytelling today needs to be critiqued and reframed in a similar fashion... 'cause this landscape where everyone does their best Naughty Dog impressions ain't it chief.
        Last edited by Dub-Z; 11-06-2019, 08:23 PM.

• twidget
        twidget commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice avatar.

No I don't think so, I think he would be better off making movies these days.
      Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

I think Kojima is technically a good developer, but I also think he's really pretentious so I haven't really played most of his games. I think it all depends on how much you like his particular brand of storytelling and game design.

Comment

Kojima loves the smell of his own farts, but I do like some of his games. MGS 4 is a particular favourite.

Comment

I compare Kojima to George Lucas. They've made great products in the past, but that was mostly because they brought the perfect team together.
            Once they get famous, they start doing solo products and the products will never get to the standard of MGS1 or A New Hope.

Comment

Kojima Isn't a game developers, he's a ideas guy, who know absolutely nothing about game design, let alone all the different aspects that go into making a game(yet for some reason, he thinks he can direct a team).

He would warrant more respect, if he would make movies or VNs instead, of pretending he's a game developer, just throwing in half baked gameplay ideas, that conflict with other systems.

Comment

• Dub-Z
                Dub-Z commented
                Editing a comment
                This is factually incorrect.

• Zoltor
                Zoltor commented
                Editing a comment
                Kojika is a hack, he hasn't actually been a game developer since the early 90s, and the fact he needed someone like Konami to make him even think about gameplay in a um..."game", is very telling.

Kojima doesn't even deserve 5% of the notoriety he gets, and It's disgusting he's been in the industry so long, yet doesn't know anything about game design(so insulting people put him incharge of running teams of developers).

He should make movies, instead of wasting a fortune in the game industry, to make crappy games.

• Dub-Z
                Dub-Z commented
                Editing a comment
                Literally nothing you said is based in reality.

Zoltor, stop talking pish

Comment

I've seen white knighting, but Dub-Z , is taking it to a whole new lever trying to counter every little diss with a wall of text, and calling anyone who won'tt stand in line to worship the master, arrogant, ignorant, factually incorrect and so on.Why do you think Kojima needs that much protection from criticism? Just deal with it that not everyone likes or even tolerates his style, instead of trying to prove people have the "wrong opinion", you aren't changing anyone's opinion, just proving that his following is actually a cult.
                Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
                Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

• Dub-Z
                  Dub-Z commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm very happy that contending with me has effected you so deeply that you've carried this pain for two whole days and had to come back to it.

Notice I haven't told every single person here who doesn't like Kojima or his games what to think. I don't respond to and correct everyone. I've just taken on the psychopathic, obsessed anti-fans like you and Garret, who do this in every related thread, and aren't even arguing from a position of logical consistency or reality.

I'm sure being a myopic, beligerent blow-hard is probaby enough to make most people never challenge you, and let your hot takes astroturf whatever forum you're on, but that's not going work with me.

...and don't feel special. I always have a lot to say.

• Thomas_JCG
                  Thomas_JCG commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If Dub-Z is a white knight, then what are you, who also doesn't miss an opportunity to complain about Kojima despite the fact that you already admitted you barely played a single game made by him?

• Linkblade
                  Linkblade commented
                  Editing a comment
                  a black knight ?

I've dealt with Kojimadrones long enough to recognize the phase of cult behavior when I see it. It used to be all about calling people underage and unable to understand the depth and complexity of the man's pseudo-philosophical mecha anime. But for the last 5 or 6 years the mantra has shifted to pretending that their opposition is not making any sense. Food for thought. Or thoughtlessness in the case of those applicable.

I just discovered something that was so obvious that I can't believe I didn't notice it until now. I was reminded of the fact that Kojima actually said that he's creating "a totally brand new genre". Yes, he seriously, literally said those words. The game did not create a genre just by adding management into the basic mechanic of walking or pretending that your players are more connected just because the game's online component implemented Likes. You cannot make yourself the most unique creator or artificially deem yourself a pioneer by being the sole proprietor of a singular instance of a genre you invented while overseeing the creation of said instance. Genres are defined by the people who are the new audience of a game that genuinely revolutionized something and organically carved itself a new niche. It is never defined by the creators of those games. Real creators do not care about classifications, they just want to create and express themselves. So Kojima is literally the opposite of an artist. He cares more about having something ready for admiration than creating it. He cares more about how people view it and how it makes him look. He wants to be the mastermind behind a new genre instead of enjoying the act of creating something new and having others call it whatever they think is applicable.

Comment

• Dub-Z
                  Dub-Z commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Refinement and further explanation isn't backpedaling. Now you're just rejecting an inconvenient truth. Unsurprising.

• Garrett
                  Garrett commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dub-Z no actually it just reveals that someone beat me to calling him out on his ridiculous narcissisim, arrogance and misunderstanding of art itself and he attempted to get away with retconning shit he had spouted that will never be removed from the internet. He's playing you like a fiddle.

• Dub-Z
                  Dub-Z commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh no. I've been tricked into playing a game I enjoy all weekend. What ever will I do?

https://youtu.be/HgbN8doxXxg

Originally posted by Dub-Z View Post
                Click image for larger version

Name:	dz.PNG
Views:	22
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	73323
                I think that sudden inane tantrum may just have invalidated everything you said by making you look less reasonable than what you could ever project on my rants. I would have suggested amending it but you beat me to it. But at least what I said about things remaining on the internet remained true.

Comment

• Dub-Z
                  Dub-Z commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice word salad.

Kojima is a pretentious hack with an ego the size of a fucking skyscraper.

Comment

I like how the people who love to criticize Kojima think they are immune to criticism and anyone who disagrees is a drone.
                  "Without Games, Life would be a Mistake" - All of the Founding Fathers, in unison.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_JCG View Post
                    I like how the people who love to criticize Kojima think they are immune to criticism and anyone who disagrees is a drone.
                    Edgy teens. That's all.

Comment

Working...
                    X