Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 250: Is the Sonic movie redesign good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 250: Is the Sonic movie redesign good?

Last Daily Poll was on Goldeneye. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...er-be-released

The Sonic movie was first announced in April and it looked extremley awful and was pretty fun to laugh at. The movie was delayed for a redesign and now we have a trailer.

Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIwrgwZB-24

The redesign looks a lot better to me but whether or not this ends up being a good movie we'll have to see. Probably will wait to watch it on the net since this will probably turn out to be pretty mediocre from how I see it.

Check out the Daily Poll Archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    The redesign is better
    78.26%
    The redesign is worse
    4.35%
    Both are good
    0%
    Both are bad
    8.70%
    I don't care
    8.70%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Who gives a shit about a dumb sonic movie more than half of the people who bitched about it weren't gonna see anyway

Comment

• Thomas_JCG
      Thomas_JCG commented
      Editing a comment
      Inkedsleeve - You do care, even if a little. Doesn't matter if you are going to watch the movie or not, you cared enough to give them visibility. There is nothing wrong with that, I cared just enough to watch the trailer too, and think it's garbage.

Linkblade - Want to borrow my thesaurus? The definition of care is "to have an interest or concern for something". You were interested enough to check this movie out, and if you are a Sonic fan, lots of reason to be concerned about it.

• Linkblade
      Linkblade commented
      Editing a comment
      Thomas_JCG If a random guy on the streets gets battered by some others and I was interested enough to watch only briefly, do I care for that battered guy? Not in my understanding of words... you know what I mean?
      Also you miss Magvel's intent that the people who rage about it, who in your understanding "care", wouldn't ever watch that movie anyway (which in my understanding is "not caring"). For me it has no importance if the movie is good or bad or if it succeeds or not, so I don't care. You think that I "care", because I look what happens around me. Different understanding. So now please put away that golden word scale-pan of yours and let's tolerate each other.

• Inkedsleeve
      Inkedsleeve commented
      Editing a comment
      Thomas_JCG has a mean case of him knowing I how feel about something more than I actually do myself, a lot of people have this problem. You're not the first person to do this, won't be the last. Thankfully, I know how I feel and what you think has literally zero affect on that opinion. Enjoy the movie.

It looks better to me.
    Exclusively Games, the Fallout 76 of game forums.

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

Sure, it looks better, but it still looks bad, and the movie is still going to suck.
      Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

It wasn't possible to be any worse than it was before.
        "Without Games, Life would be a Mistake" - All of the Founding Fathers, in unison.

Comment

I've had a conspiracy hypothesis ever since they announced the redesign. It's so simple and easily profitable that it doesn't sound that far-fetched.

3d-animated characters use an animation skeleton that is tied to a 3d mesh. Multiple slightly different meshes can be tied to a single skeleton so they can use the same animations. Eyes use targeting inverse kinematic setup that allow the eyeballs to focus on a specific thing. So switching from one mesh to another is very easy as long as they are mostly similar in structure. (Can't have extra limbs or completely different body proportions) If you change the eyes significantly you just need to rebind the IK setup and your eyes will look in the correct direction with the new mesh.

Now imagine wanting to profit from a videogame movie in 2019. Everyone knows that everyone who makes a videogame movie only cares about swindling game fans out of their money by lazily exploiting what they like to try to get them to buy the ticket just once and they don't care that you're walking out disappointed and trying in vain to warn others away since the opening weekend damage is already done. Now what if you were to make a crappy trailer that deliberately showed that you don't understand the source material, but really you already had your intended trailer ready since the character models are interchangeable with their identical skeleton? You could make it seem like you didn't know what you were doing, and you're going to fix it because that's what the fans want. You could make it seem like you're actually listening to people and taking constructive feedback. Not only will your "re-released" trailer generate a ton of goodwill, but even if your intended design isn't perfect, people will overlook any flaws because of how horribly shitty your original was. To further increase the contrast, pick the worst and least fitting trailer music possible for the original, and do your best to make the intended music fit. Even if it isn't a perfect Sonic: Green Hill Zone soundtrack remix for a movie, it's still not Gangsta's Paradise, a song who's message is about the self-perpetuating cycle of violence and social erosion maintained by counter-productive mentalities in empoverished black communities of the US. And Blitzkrieg Bop is quite literally about speed. Even if it is about the speed of the nazi army in WW2.

I don't know what the workflow of post-processing CGI added to live-action is so I don't know how much effort there would need to be put into creating a trailer like this twice but rendering CGI twice is just a matter of renting your renderfarm for double the amount of time. Bottom line is that you're making people who hated your product like you and your product and people who were indifferent like your product because of what they heard about your good actions. Maybe it is profitable.

Comment

• Linkblade
            Linkblade commented
            Editing a comment
            Garrett Could very well be deception! It would make totally sense! You're right, that the movie is always compared to the godly seen game and has only little chance to be received well, but if there is another very bad reference against which the movie can be compared to, it suddenly shines in a much brighter light. They might have planned that. Nice thought!

• Garrett
            Garrett commented
            Editing a comment
            Hyperweasle The wages of workers is factored into the conspiracy because you're not paying more for keeping people working for longer, the amount of work was part of the plan all along and while the trailer team has been working on two versions the movie team has been making the movie with just the one. But you're still probably right just because of the merchandise. There's no way to make that profitable because rare redesigned merchandise only increases in value second-hand.

I don't understand why the whole movie isn't animated, it seems they don't like making animated movies anymore.

I always find movies like this awkward to watch.

Comment

• Thomas_JCG
            Thomas_JCG commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you checked the trailer for the new Scooby-Doo movie?
            https://youtu.be/ZnKvQbpDYXU

• Irritablesquid
            Irritablesquid commented
            Editing a comment
            I hadn't seen it until now.
            Looks like it might be ok. Why couldn't they do the same with sonic?
            I remember when I was younger there was a sonic cartoon, I had most of the episodes on vhs tapes.

I want a Sonic movie like Joker. About a furry who wants to compete in women's sports and run track but society won't let him, because President Robotnik is transphobic, so he becomes a terrorist by robbing banks for gold and freeing animals from the zoo.

Comment

• Dub-Z
            Dub-Z commented
            Editing a comment
            My thoughts exactly.

Much better.
          Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

He looks amazing honestly. Just enough of the original 3D look with some of it's own uniqueness. It's a good balance.

Comment

While I won’t the see the movie right away, the redesign looks much better. Good on the creators listening to the fans, which Paramount normally wouldn’t care about.
              I wish I could love anything as much as I hate everything
              I also make videos https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpvjyJGhppM0bExHo74vBsA

Comment

Working...
              X