Daily Poll 256 Discussion: Review Embargoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 256 Discussion: Review Embargoes

Last Daily Poll was on Fallen Order. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...i-fallen-order

Shenmue 3 is out tomorrow in case you guys didn't know yet. The Review Embargo lifts in Europe on the 21st. Doesn't sound too good to me and really dumb since the embargoes lift on the 19 for the US and everyone else as far as I know. Embargoes and when they lift has been talked about for a long time. I remember how DOOM (2016) and Shadow of Mordor had late embargoes. Those ended up being great games but a general trend is that late reviews are bad news. What do you guys think about Embargoes?

Check out the Daily Poll Archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Shenmue?
    Shenmue 1
    6.25%
    Shenmue 2
    0%
    Shenmue 3
    0%
    I love them all
    0%
    I hate them all
    12.50%
    Don't care
    81.25%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

I dont buy new games anyways, I wait for them to be patched and stable, but most importantly until they drop in price. Last time I dropped full price on a new game was Elite Dangerous.
    Steam ID: Saul15 Discord: Trout#3435
    I love strategy games and coop shooters, lets play sometime.

Comment

• Trout
      Trout commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I've always loved flight sims and the game lends itself well to keyboard/mouse + high end joysticks. Yes, using all three for different things is kinda a necessity, people with Mech Warrior setups find themself at home in Elite.

I usually only buy new games after launch, if it's my kinda game and people say the game as few bugs along with being enjoyable to play then I'll buy it. I don't preorder games and that usually allows me to avoid launch duds.
    I bet everyone is now wishing they installed anti-virus protection.

Comment

• Hyperweasle
      Hyperweasle commented
      Editing a comment
      aileron Hey you are speaking to the Legendary Junior Member who got a reputation beyond repute with 0 posts. I want to see you do that!

Never played a Shenmue game before. But after what the publisher did to the poor backers it left a sour taste in my mouth and I won't be buying Shenmue 1 & 2 (& possibly 3?) on Steam at all.

About embargoes I'm not sure what to think... the company has a right to restrict reviews from coming out too early, I guess? But I also think that is pointless since BigBrained people wait for the reviews to pop up anyway, never buy on faith or release day...
    Last edited by Latham; 11-18-2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I distrust those who have review embargoes set to lift after release day.

But embargoes are also a good thing, so journos can't make it a race of who puts their review out first. I guess most reviews are rushed hackjobs as is.
      Hell some already release reviews before actually finishing the game just once.
      This is one thing I miss from the printed magazine days. There reviewers had time to test games properly, there was no pressure to put out a review asap.
      I only trust reviewers who take their time with games and their goal is not to be the first, but the best / most informed.

Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
      Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

Doesn't matter to me. I don't trust reviewers who get the game early anyway.
        YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

I will not buy a game until I hear some good reviews from people I trust. If a game has a review embargo up, I typically take that to mean the publishers are ashamed of the final product and so lose a lot of interest in the title. Should reviews come back that the game was good, I shrug and consider checking it out again but that embargo always leaves a bad taste in my mouth and reduces the likelihood that I'll buy a game even if it later receives positive acclaim.

Comment

Don't care for reviews so don't care about embargoes

Comment

• Dub-Z
              Dub-Z commented
              Editing a comment
              This. Right on.

In fact, I'm kinda happy when reviewers don't get what they want.
          Working...
          X