Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 258: Are the TGA nominations good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 258: Are the TGA nominations good?

Last Daily Poll was on Half Life Alyx. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...-a-non-vr-mode

TGA released their nominations and they make no sense to me an a lot of the net. DS getting nine nominations when Keighley practically worships the ground he walks on is no surprise. Control having 8 is odd to a lot of people since that game was pretty average from what I could tell. Never played it so I can't say from personal experience. Jump Force was a short lived meme and a good game to basically nobody. The cross over seems interesting but that's a paper thin novelty. I've said I think Keighley is a hack and I'll say it again here. The rewards are corporate as hell some of them have the x award brought to you by brand. The Oscars bought and sold too but at least their categories aren't stuffed with ads in the title. Also a remake to me isn't GOTY material. TGA started 16 years too late to give RE 2 a GOTY award in my opinion.

Check out the Daily Poll Archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    The TGA nominations are good
    4.76%
    The TGA nominations are bad
    19.05%
    The TGA nominations aren't bad or good
    14.29%
    I can't decide
    14.29%
    I don't care
    38.10%
    GOTY is KNACK 2 BABEE
    9.52%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Overall, I can't really decide, however I think Resident Evil 2 is fine being on the list. It was built completely from the ground up not just graphics wise but also gameplay and level design wise. The remake is so drastically different that it is almost a entirely different beast. I think it's more than deserving to be on the list. If it wins this will also incentivize Square Enix to continue making remakes with the same quality. Now if it was a remaster then I would entirely agree.
    I bet everyone is now wishing they installed anti-virus protection.

Comment

If Kojima wins any major category with a game that is a critical flop then it's definitely not worth caring about. Even the nominations seem forced, like it is because of who made the game and the hype and not because the game is actually that good.
      Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
      Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

They are fixed, much like the music awards.
        You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours is the mentality of the awards.
        I've always been suspicious about the voting system and who "votes" for what reasons, is it genuine gamers or yes men who have been giving a helping hand by publishers.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMummy76 View Post
          If Kojima wins any major category with a game that is a critical flop
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ds.png
Views:	53
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	74433

Click image for larger version

Name:	sa2.png
Views:	57
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	74434

inb4: But it scored less with players!

And how many of those players are just jumping on the "Kojima bad" train like you?
          "Without Games, Life would be a Mistake" - All of the Founding Fathers, in unison.

Comment

• Dub-Z
            Dub-Z commented
            Editing a comment
            90% of mainstream gamers wouldn't appreciate something like Shadow of the Colossus back in the day either. Still a masterpiece.

• Thomas_JCG
            Thomas_JCG commented
            Editing a comment
            Dub-Z - Yep, some people have no interest in trying a new experience, they just want to shoot things.

Days Gone was robbed. Of what's nominated Death Stranding should definitely win GOTY. Or Sekiro. Either one would stick it to IGN.

Outer Worlds will probably clean up. Pretty great game and it has a palatable Gene Rodenberry approach to things, but It's a games media pleaser in terms of casting, subject matter and representation. A safe choice among peers for the voting jury.

Award shows are just a marketing spectacle and industry x media circle jerk, though. I want to see game trailers and video game related musical performances.
          Last edited by Dub-Z; 11-22-2019, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_JCG View Post

And how many of those players are just jumping on the "Kojima bad" train like you?
            And how many are just Kojima fans praising anything the man says or does? He has a bigger cult following than ron hubbard.
            So far every review I saw of the game agreed on this: It's a boring walking simulator, that forces a ton of backtracking on you. And when it is not boring it is annoying.
            At least MGSV was fun between the boring parts, this doesn't even have that going for it.
            Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
            Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

• Dub-Z
              Dub-Z commented
              Editing a comment
              lol @ backtracking being a point of contention in an open world game

Hilarious.

There's so much more to it than just walking, and either way, it's probably the most engaging walking and climbing mechanics you could create before going full QWERTY. There's slick combat, crazy sci fi tech to traverse the world with, robo legs, laser zip lines, wrap around bola guns, phantom ghosts and lovecraftian creatures from the abyss to contend with, survival, building, weather and social systems.. all kinds of stuff.

• Thomas_JCG
              Thomas_JCG commented
              Editing a comment
              If that was true, the score would be mostly positive, no? And you must be searching on the wrong places, because most reviews I have seen say it's a pretty fun game if you leave that "walking simulator" mentality at the doorstep and let yourself be immersed in the world.

Pretty bad.
            Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

Gonna have to say no. Not including Fire Emblem in the RPG category, which is the only game so far as I can tell that should be competing with KHIII for RPG of the year, was a bad idea. Also, remakes and games that came out last year are a no from me, cut-off or not and I'm completely against a category that only features one developer, because then it doesn't even matter who wins. Also, anything that includes Borderlands 3 which is a glitchy, broken mess, is not okay with me. 2014 happened because of glitchy games getting awards in 2011's Spike TV Awards, which I guess explains a lot, because Geoff Keighley is the common factor here, and I don't buy that he didn't campaign to get Death Stranding on all of these categories. This year is the worst by far.

Comment

So long as there isn't another Red Dead Redemption 2 situation this year, I think everything will be just fine. If it does happen again I'm pretty sure Death Stranding is going to be the game to do it, gamers always seem to throw themselves behind the most pretentious games out there just to make themselves look smarter, that is if the public votes aren't just a placebo to sell the illusion of audience participation.

Comment

Knack 2 is the game of the year every year my dudes
                  YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

I actually non-ironocally like Knack 2 and want a third one.

Comment

Working...
                    X