Daily Poll 259: Rate the Half Life Alyx trailer from 1-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 259: Rate the Half Life Alyx trailer from 1-5

Last Daily Poll was on TGA nominations. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...minations-good

We got a short trailer for Alyx and it's pretty good. It's short and the gameplay is pretty scripted so there's no need to get excited just yet. Seems like this game is VR only and if I can scrounge up the cash somehow I'd love to get a Valve Index and play this and Beat Saber till the end of my days. That is just me and as always I defer to you guys. Second poll coming up after this. I got too stuck in Death Stranding and the Mandalorian which is very good and is making me like Star Wars again.

Watch the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtM-UnY2vdU

Check out the Daily Poll Archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    5.00%
    5.00%
    15.00%
    30.00%
    10.00%
    I did not watch the trailer
    35.00%
    Last edited by Jokerthefoolio; 11-24-2019, 01:31 AM.
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Fuck VR. That's all.
    "Without Games, Life would be a Mistake" - All of the Founding Fathers, in unison.

Comment

I've seen bits of it but not the whole thing. Looks like it could be good though.
      YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

It looked good on some things but for me hands on screen is the biggest turn off ever. Can't understand how that goes with the so much talked "immersion"

Comment

I rate it a 3, because Half Life 3. =D
          ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
          Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

It's a 3 from me. Slightly impressed but overall not interested.

Comment

I'll say 5 on a technical level, one of if not the best and least janky looking VR game I've seen to date. Now whether that will translate into real world gameplay is yet to be seen, however if the trailer is an accurate representation of the game then I will say that this might be the game to give a push in quality of VR games.
              I bet everyone is now wishing they installed anti-virus protection.

Comment

Looks amazing. Battling enemies is so 2019, I want to battle against gesture systems and 3D switch puzzles #GamingIn2020BeLike
                Iconoclast

Jeremy: ResetEra is a forum full of outrage merchants
                Also Jeremy: Join ExclusivelyGames, a forum full of outrage merchants

Comment

I'm going for a 3 because it looks okay. Graphics are good and Physics are good which are to expected of any game nowadays. It's all about the VR experience and I have not had an interest in this myself.

Comment

I didn't watch it, it's VR so I don't care.
                    Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

Every time I see something done in VR I can't focus on all the things it can do, all I see is all the things it can't do. They're not big things, but they are still things.
                      • Iron sights aiming for all weapons means that every player must import their incompetence and the game's normal difficulty must be balanced around the assumption that the player is average at hitting things with a gun, in other words incompetent since most people don't shoot guns. With traditional FPS aiming the game can at least pretend that you're controlling the actions of a competent shooter by omitting an entire dimension of input. So the designers can focus on challenging gameplay instead of accommondating the general public's lack of spec-ops marksmanship.
                      • Speaking of marksmanship, anyone who's used an actual sniper scope knows that it isn't easy. I don't know if there are any VR games with scoped weapons but I'd imagine using them would be pretty awful. How do you stabilize something like that? A fraction of a degree is a miss by meters. Regular computer games enhance the precision of sniping by decreasing aim sensitivity when aiming down the scope. How do you do that with real human hands? Do you just literally change the movement-aim input ratio and ruin the immersion of using your real hands to aim?
                      • The fact that in VR it's impossible to actually spawn a tangible object basically means that all weapons must be one-handed. So you're limiting your arsenal out of necessity. Your other hand would just go through the pump of a shotgun, and it does in games that have those intangible shotguns. Also there can't be a buttstock on your rifle. Well actually who cares if you can't stabilize your gun with a front guard or a stock since...
                      • ...there can't be any recoil or mass to the weapons you're using. That means that all of your guns will either feel weak or be laser-based.
                      • If you do everything with your hands, how do you climb ladders? I'm not sure how immersive it would be to pretend to pull down on steps with your hands. With your feet doing nothing. Seems like funny inversion of the way ladders work in regular Half-Life. The common joke used to be that Gordon miraculously scales ladders while aiming a shotgun with both his hands. If Half-Life Alyx has ladders then Alyx will be doing the opposite. She skipped leg day.

Comment

• Garrett
                        Garrett commented
                        Editing a comment
                        aileron I acknowledge that there can be solutions and I can come up with some myself on the spot. For example if you want the ease of classic FPS aiming with true 3d aiming controller, you can raycast a stereoscopically rendered crosshair into the environment from your gun, scaled based on the inverse square of its distance. No, not a laser sight, it would be obnoxious to have one for every gun. Plus the crosshair could be non-exact in its aiming as opposed to a laser sight.

However the point of my post was that VR does introduce about as many problems as it does fancy new possibilities. And every fix is a new type of compromise that wouldn't be necessary if the problems inherent to the platform didn't exist. There are issues that need to be fixed and I just can't bring myself to look past the extant issues to admire the advantages. As far as I'm aware the compromises still outweigh the perks. The only genres where VR has no disadvantages at all are vehicular simulations. And even there you are only using the stereoscopic display and head tracking, not the motion control of your hands.
                    Working...
                    X