Daily Poll 266: Are you a collector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 266: Are you a collector?

Last Daily Poll was on the Steam Sale. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...-sale-from-1-5

Collecting goes hand and hand with gaming. Well at least it used to. Companies have released special editions of games and tons of collectibles and special edition consoles over the years. There's a lot of pride in having shelves full of games and better yet owning every single game on a platform. Physical is dying out so the allure of owning a bunch of physical goods attracts less and less people and companies don't put too much effort into their physical goods anymore. I know a lot of you are older so you probably remember the good old days. I don't really. I do have a bunch of Amiibo and a few modern special editions which I'm pretty fond of.

Check out the Daily Poll Archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    I'm a hardcore collector
    8.70%
    I'm a casual collector
    52.17%
    I'm not a collector and have never been
    17.39%
    I used to be a collector
    13.04%
    I don't care
    4.35%
    Other Opinion (reply below)
    4.35%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Very much so, though I haven't always been, so my collection isn't that noteworthy. I buy collector's editions of new games pretty much whenever I can, and have been buying some older ones recently as well (such as all of the Atelier games lol)
    Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

I consider my self a casual collector. Sure I have a ton of games, but I don't collect them in a meta way.

Example of meta collecting: Only RTS games + their art, posters, magazines, toys, mugs, etc.
      ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
      Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

I'm a casual collector. Outside of a Collector's Edition here or there, the only thing I really collect are games themselves, and all my none game products that are video game related save for my Amiibo, some Yokai Watch figures and and two or three Pop figures came from those collector editions.
        Last edited by RepentantSky; 11-29-2019, 08:02 AM.

Comment

I'm a pretty hardcore collector. I even have a Faria mail order only map(only about a dozen or so are known to exist, and very few people even know about these things), I have both versions of the Japanese LE of Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodi. I have the original printrun of Pier Solar, I generall get every LE ATLUS, and NIS release of games I want to plat.

Then just recently I got 2x LRG Shenmue 3 LES, 2x Pix'n love Shenmue 3 LEs, and the Best Buy pre-order of Shenmue 3 that gave you a steelbook.

This doen't even mention all the low printrun stuff I tend to get. Here's the kicker too, most of the low printrun stuff I get, I get long before It's even known to have a low printrun. It just so happens to tend to be games I'm interested in, and because I keep a eyeout on potential hidden gems coming out, I tend to get them pretty close to release.

There's actually quite a few examples of this, this year alone(I feel sorry for those people who want a complete Switch collection, because there's no way they'll be pulling that off lol).

In addition to, lets all blame LRG lol, and there's another company doing it(forgot their name atm), There's the under produced games that are almost as rare as games with LEs. For some insane reason, it would seem the publisher of Clannad thought it was appropiate to only print out a few hundred thousand coppies of something with a market of atleast 1.2m. I wasn't going to order it right away, but after seeing it sell out before launch, and saw they were getting one more shipment in, yea had to order it.(only the asian "multilanguag" one seems to be this limited, so yea the one that everyone wants/needs, is sadly also the lowest printrun version). Then there's your usual Square nonsense(Squar exec Hey a lot of people want a physical of X game. CEO: Oh really, ok yea lets do that, but lets only print enough for 1% of the expected market for it. Square exec: but wait, wouldn't we save money by making more anyway? CEO: Don't use such words again, because firing you would save us even more money), between them not printing enough or them only releasing such in the smallest region to avoid having to print many, yea.

Comment

• Linkblade
            Linkblade commented
            Editing a comment
            Zoltor
            Squar exec Hey a lot of people want a physical of X game. CEO: Oh really, ok yea lets do that, but lets only print enough for 1% of the expected market for it. Square exec: but wait, wouldn't we save money by making more anyway? CEO: Don't use such words again, because firing you would save us even more money
            xD LOL

Yes. I think I listed my collections elsewhere on this site. I've actually lost track of how many different collections I have. Tabletop games. Video games. Old audio equipment. 8 bit computers. Stamps. Coins. Keychains. Baseball caps. Classic sci fi novels. Comics a tiny bit. Maps. That's all I can think of right now.

Comment

• Dub-Z
            Dub-Z commented
            Editing a comment
            I've gotten quite a few comics back over the years too. Mostly offbeat indie stuff and less noteworthy characters/properties that few people are interested in, but enough to take up a garage shelf full of short boxes. Other than that, I collect movies on DVD, blu-ray and 4K UHD.

Originally posted by aileron View Post
          Yes. I think I listed my collections elsewhere on this site. I've actually lost track of how many different collections I have. Tabletop games. Video games. Old audio equipment. 8 bit computers. Stamps. Coins. Keychains. Baseball caps. Classic sci fi novels. Comics a tiny bit. Maps. That's all I can think of right now.

Lol sounds like me I have so many different collections over the years, Indiana Jones, GI Joe, Star Wars, VG, Coin, anime, MTG, ect.

Comment

I don't collect anything. Collecting is just getting something for the sake of having it standing around untouched all the time without any use and collecting dust. I avoid all Definitve Ultimate Complete Editions with artbook and soundtrack, because I never would really have a use for it. I have a Link-Wolf Amiibo because for the Wii U Edition of Zelda BotW it can summon the wolf in-game. Ok I have two Link figures and a Link Master Sword letter opener in a stand standing around. But the letter opener has a use, one of the figures is now a toy of my daughter and the other figure my wife got for me, which is now my gaming mascot under my monitor accompanying me. I never had the intention of owning all Zelda figures and displaying them in a shelf or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkblade View Post
              I don't collect anything. Collecting is just getting something for the sake of having it standing around untouched all the time without any use and collecting dust. I avoid all Definitve Ultimate Complete Editions with artbook and soundtrack, because I never would really have a use for it. I have a Link-Wolf Amiibo because for the Wii U Edition of Zelda BotW it can summon the wolf in-game. Ok I have two Link figures and a Link Master Sword letter opener in a stand standing around. But the letter opener has a use, one of the figures is now a toy of my daughter and the other figure my wife got for me, which is now my gaming mascot under my monitor accompanying me. I never had the intention of owning all Zelda figures and displaying them in a shelf or something like that.

That's not always true, in the VG scene that would be called a sealed game collector specifically, not usually what anyone refers to, when they just say collecting.

Games are meant to be played, and as such hold their value even when opened. Also most VG collectors only collect stuff they will play. If a game Isn't worth playing, It's rarely worth collecting anyway(very few exception).

The same can be said about anime, and CCGs as well, their values lie mostly in the fact, they can be used/played. This is why even though the toy collecting scene crashed, and other similar type of collectibles, things like VGs, Anime, and CCG cards not only held their value, but frankly have sky rocketed.

Comment

• Linkblade
                Linkblade commented
                Editing a comment
                Zoltor what is VG?

For me a collector is someone who wants to have all items of a specific set. A game collector "sealed" to Zelda would want to collect all kind of Zelda stuff. I'm a Zelda fan, but I only get some things which I think are good, not everything. A Pokémon player who has the intent of catchin 'em all is a collector. A Pokémon player who picks up every Pokémon he can get is a collector. But a Pokémon player who only picks up those Pokémon which are useful for him is not a collector.

• Zoltor
                Zoltor commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a very traditional take on collecting, and use to be very much all encompassing, but the industries that started to really come into their own in the 90s, really changed that, as their products were meant to be used. The use of such became more important/prominent in factoring in most of said product's desirability, and thus their perceived market value.

In the 2000s+ era it is even more the case, now that standard releases for things like games, and anime don't even come in cardboard boxes, so condition Isn't something that needs to be worried about as much anymore.

Casual collector. I collect the series that I like, not console specific. I don't collect everything for one system.

I have respect for sealed game collectors though, or collectors who collect everything for a system.

Collecting is not something you do in the short term. Yes games might be "for playing" but what if you bought 2 copies, opened one, and kept the other one sealed on a shelf for 20 years. You'd be able to then sell that for a lot of money, depending on the game.

But it is not only a financial investment, collecting is also about preserving those games for future generations. It is the same as collecting art.

Comment

For games? No, not at all. Don't get me wrong, I like steelbooks, but I have never bought any collector's editions or game associated merchandise. No figurines, no T-shirts, no canvas maps, nothing.

Now collecting things in general, other hobbies? Yes... and its expensive.

Comment

A casual collector atm. I have a ton of physical games, but I also have some plushes, steelbooks, a statuette, and one amiibo (for now.)
                  I wish I could love anything as much as I hate everything
                  I also make videos https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpvjyJGhppM0bExHo74vBsA

Comment

25 years ago I collected old consoles and the games for them.
                    The only PC I collected was a TI 99/4A because TI Invaders was such a perfect port of Space Invaders and tons of fun to play.
                    I got tired of it and sold them all, for a small profit.

Now I keep some games I've bought and sell some after I've played them.

The only thing I'm really collecting is a backlog on Steam and GOG.
                    Exclusively Games, the Fallout 76 of game forums.

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

Used to be quite the collector. Sold or gave away to friends most of my collection now. I still have quite a few games across several systems, but only those I know I'll play.

Comment

Very casual. This year I bought a Wii, a 3ds XL and a GBA lite and started collecting physical games for it. Currently have about 40 GameCube, 30 Wii, 15 DS, 10 3DS and 4 GBA. I won't go for full collections but all games I want to have (I would like to have all JRPGs but they are very limited and expensive)

Comment

Working...
                        X