Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 270: Which VR brand would you buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 270: Which VR brand would you buy?

Last Daily Poll was on what makes you buy a game. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...you-buy-a-game

I know a lot of people don't care much for VR but since Half Life Alyx is a thing and it's the holidays I figured why not. VR is slowly getting more and more appeal. There are more games out for it and the hardware is starting to get cheaper. PC hardware is also starting to get to a point where mid range PCs can run VR reasonably. I am looking to get into VR. I want to get the Vive Cosmos since it doesn't need base stations and I want to play Beat Saber and waifu games.

Check out the Daily Poll Archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    HTC (Vive)
    5.88%
    Valve
    17.65%
    Occulus
    0%
    PSVR
    0%
    Other brand
    0%
    I am not looking to buy a VR headset
    76.47%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

I dunno. I'm still waiting for VR headsets to become more advanced and have a wider variety of games. Plus, my PC is only somewhat VR capable, so I wouldn't get it until after I upgraded.
    Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

If money wasn't an issue, volvo's I guess? I've never done any head-to-head comparisons because I never planned to buy one at all, but if you made me choose, I'd go with volvo's. It looks most advanced with the controller thingies.

Comment

Waiting for 1. Tech to become more advanced, 2. Tech to come down in price, 3. Me to have more time to devote to gaming.

Comment

VR is not my thing. I couldn't be less interested in the technology. I believe AR has way more potential

Comment

I'm not going to buy one, I think at this stage it's nothing more than a gimmick like 3d tv. I doubt it would add anything to a game that I would enjoy.

Who knows what will happen in the future.

Comment

I would totally buy a VR headset. The tech is far enough to have fun with it I think. I just don't spend many bucks on something I can foresee I won't even get to do or get to do only very few. If I was single I already would have a VR headset. But as it stands traditional PC gaming is already complicated enough to get to for me. So I don't plan to get a VR headset in the near future. Maybe in many years when things are less complicated.

Comment

I don't care about VR. As long as the flailing-based controls have no haptic feedback it's useless to me. The breaking of immersion caused by the lack of that overrides the gain in immersion produced by the stereoscopic rendering with head tracking. I only care about the stereoscopic 3d aspect of the VR fad. So I'm waiting for AOC and the other big display manufacturers to get into researching ways to bring the dynamic stereoscopy of the 3DS to desktop PC displays. Meaning that you have a high refresh rate widescreen display with the interlaced stereo-projection that is calculated in real time to be projected to your eyes using sensors on the screen that can detect the position of your eyes. So you don't need to sweat in a headset and spend four times as much money on hardware that can properly render stereoscopic 3d in the ridiculous resolution that a display so close to your eyes requires. There's just a desktop display that follows your eyes and projects two images to them, dynamically adjusting the field of view based on your viewing distance. Instead of being a helmet that projects a world around your head, you have a window that shows your the world through it just like in traditional 3d games, except this time it's true 3d instead of 2d footage of 3d.

Comment

Useless piece of fad.
                  "Without Games, Life would be a Mistake" - All of the Founding Fathers, in unison.

Comment

The Problem With VR

Click image for larger version

Name:	VR1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	75577

Name:	VR2.jpg
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	75578

Name:	VR3.jpg
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	75580

Name:	VR4.jpg
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	75579

Name:	VR5.jpg
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	75581

Comment

Name:	VR6.jpg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	75583
                    (There are only 5 attachmenets per post allowed so I posted this. And I needed to write this because a picture alone is not allowed. So I hide this text in white)

Comment

• aileron
                      aileron commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice! But please note it was #3 that's the main factor. I've been to a VR lounge. It's come a long way. The same thing is preventing me from getting more into VR gaming as is preventing from getting into more gaming period: that is, other life committments.

I don't want VR.
                    Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

There are still no AAA games for VR, and I wouldn't expect otherwise. No company would make an AAA game for such a small install base. So HL:Alyx will be the first, valve has money to burn. No doubt it will be a huge loss, but this is part of trying to make themselves relevant again, so cost doesn't matter. But I digress.

I still think VR is a fad, that will fade into obscurity eventually, or it might never die and remain a niche, but I don't see widespread adoption in its future.
                      If there were dozens of AAA VR games I might consider buying a set, but the price of entry into VR is just too damn high for me to even consider it for one game.
                      Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
                      Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

• aileron
                        aileron commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agree with everything except I don't think it's a fad. This might be an insane response but I think the future is implants and a world where you can't discern the difference between your R and your VR, i.e., true AR.

I am probably going to wait until they are fully wireless for the Valve version which is $1,000. Anything with a comma in the price better be wireless, in 2020 we are in the future already. I can literally turn on my home lights with my smartphone in a different state or with my voice we should have wireless headsets. I don't care if the battery life is an hour, its a start at that point I would invest. The Sony version certainly affordable but I have no interest with PS5 coming out. When Sony invests in wireless and their games for VR are as good as they exclusives I'll also buy one.

Comment

Working...
                      X