Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 281: Are you buying any games as Xmas gifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 281: Are you buying any games as Xmas gifts?

Last daily poll was on the Xbox Series X. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...-xbox-series-x

Christmas is coming up and it's a time of giving. Games make great gifts for people who like them at least. There has been a lot of great deals on games and systems. If you took advantage of them talk about it or not. I might get some games as gifts. I just got a new job so money is tight for me and add that to the fact that they aren't too many gamers I know irl or people for that fact.

Check out the Daily Poll Archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    I bought games as gifts
    29.17%
    I did not and will not buy games as gifts
    45.83%
    I might buy games as gifts
    25.00%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Not buying games until after Christmas.
    Moving to a new city at the end of the month.
    I'll buy presents after the move and any unplanned expenses have been taken care of.
    Exclusively Games, the Fallout 76 of game forums.

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

I don't have "gamer" friends or family. Actually I hear things like "games are for children" quite frequently lol

Comment

• Latham
        Latham commented
        Editing a comment
        Same , I will probably buy something on the Xmas steam sale for myself, though!

• Hyperweasle
        Hyperweasle commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, uh we can be friends and I'm a gamer so uh GIVE ME!!!

Last edited by Hyperweasle; 12-15-2019, 07:06 AM.

• Balta666
        Balta666 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hyperweasle I don't like cry baby's but if you behave next year

Yes, but not video games, tabletop. Also hoping to receive some

Comment

It's unlikely I'll buy any games as gifts, since no one in my family is really a gamer and my friends don't really do the gift thing. I used to buy all my friends gifts for Christmas but they rarely reciprocated and acted like it was an obligation they were fulfilling when they did.

Comment

• Linkblade
          Linkblade commented
          Editing a comment
          JackofTears
          Since that your friends are not gifting back is your reason to not do it any longer you seem to be expecting the favor in return. So they "acting like it's an obligation" may be no acting but just true?

On Christmas you should gift because you want to make others happy and not directly yourself. You should be happy, because you made people happy. Expectations ruin the whole thing. Never gift, because you want something back for it, but only because you want to make the donee happy.

But the fact that people are not gifting back to you could mean that you're not important to them, which may reveal something you didn't know yet and in that case may be the reason to rethink the friendship. Though, most commonly is the "You're only my friend because you play games with me" friend and really not that surprising that they're not gifting back.

Besides I find it always nice to gift "time coupons" like "I will play any game of your choice (with you) for at least 2 hours"

• JackofTears
          JackofTears commented
          Editing a comment
          Linkblade It's not about the presents, it's about the tradition of giving. It's a time to take that extra moment and effort to say 'hey, I appreciate you and I was thinking about you'. It's symbolic, the quality or value of the presents doesn't matter.

They do all care for me, but none of them enjoy Christmas the way I used to, so they don't place any value on the tradition. I know it's not an intentional slight, they don't do anything special with one another, either. It's just disappointing, and if no one else cares, then my gifts lose meaning - they're just things, received without meaning.

We used to celebrate Christmas every year, but somewhere along the way everyone else lost interest.

• Linkblade
          Linkblade commented
          Editing a comment
          JackofTears
          that's sad :'(

No, I don't usually buy stuff for people on Christmas, unless it's Secret Santa or something.
        "Without Games, Life would be a Mistake" - All of the Founding Fathers, in unison.

Comment

I bought games as gifts because relatives asked for games as gifts.
          Xbox Live: Goldnfoxx
          PSN: Goldenfoxx
          Nintendo: SW-5996-7611-3106
          Steam: Goldenfoxx / [email protected]

Comment

The youngest in my family (well those I know) is 28 so no gifting anymore.
            Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

There was a time I would gift my brother video games, but he is no longer interested in them.

I even bought him Dota 2 legendary skins. xD
              ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
              Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

Planning on getting my brother Super Mario Odyssey, however my sister is a bit trickier so I'm still debating what to get her.
                Hippity hoppity, your spam is now my property!

Comment

Will probably buy a PC game for my son once the Steam Xmas sale starts.

Comment

No one I know plays this shit. Closest thing to a gamer friend I have irl is a dude that fixes pinball machines.

Comment

Option 4: I will buy a game as Xmas gift. (I haven't already, because waiting for Steam sale)

About a year ago my brother did me a favor and gifted me Getting Over It to torture me. I played it through twice.
                      This year (to save me from tears) I'll gift him something special!

Jump King

Comment

• Linkblade
                        Linkblade commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I also have an older friend who did competitive racing in his earlier days. I will setup a new Steam account for him, install it on his computer and gift him the best racing simulation I found which runs on his older rig's hardware. Assetto Corsa.

Originally posted by Linkblade View Post
                      Option 4: I will buy a game as Xmas gift. (I haven't already, because waiting for Steam sale)

About a year ago my brother did me a favor and gifted me Getting Over It to torture me. I played it through twice.
                      This year (to save me from tears) I'll gift him something special!

Jump King
                      May I suggest also gifting the cult classic Bad Rats: the Rats' Revenge, if you really want to bring tears in his eyes.
                      Hippity hoppity, your spam is now my property!

Comment

• Linkblade
                        Linkblade commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hyperweasle Thanks for the suggestion! Looks like Crazy Machines. Though, I doubt he would be annoyed by it, because we like Crazy Machines! Wait, did you mean tears of nostalgia or tears of frustration like in Getting Over It?!

• Hyperweasle
                        Hyperweasle commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Linkblade I was being a bit sarcastic, Bad Rats: the Rats' Revenge is not really a good game, it's more one of those joke games you would give to a friend to get a couple minutes of laughter out of. The game overall simply put is about as mediocre as a random flash game you would find on newgrounds.
                        Last edited by Hyperweasle; 12-17-2019, 09:10 PM.

I always end up buying games as gifts for family. Usually the newest Pokemon game.

Comment

Working...
                      X