Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 285: Would you buy the DS4's back button add on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 285: Would you buy the DS4's back button add on?

Last Daily Poll was on the Xbox Series X. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...ries-x-too-big

Sony announced an attachment that is going to give the dualshock 4 two back buttons. The add on is 30 bucks and the main draw to the uber expensive scuf and elite controllers. The idea of it is interesting but I doubt most PS4 owners would drop the cash on this in lieu of using that cash for more games. That's how I feel, might buy it for shits and giggles.

Here's an overview of the attachment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FNOKSwkg5U

Check out the Daily Poll Archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    I will buy it
    0%
    I might buy it
    6.67%
    I won't buy it
    73.33%
    I already have a controller with that feature
    0%
    I don't use controllers
    20.00%
    Last edited by Jokerthefoolio; 12-19-2019, 05:40 AM.
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

The controller already dies fast enough and my hands are too big for it as is.

Comment

• Thomas_JCG
      Thomas_JCG commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you need big hands to reach the buttons.

After I tried many controllers I finally set with the Dualshock 4 controller to play controller-suited games on PC. I love this controller, but it is sufficient as it is for me. I never thought in a game played, that now I had needed an additional button. Also the video states that you can only map the back buttons to 16 different functions, which is about all already available button functions. You can only assign square, triangle, L1, L2 and so on, but can't program pressing two buttons simultaneously or in rapid succesion or in a sequence. Well I could do that with DS4Windows, but the point is, there is no reason for me, no advantage to gain from this gadget.

Though, it could be useful for fighting game players, because the right thumb is responsible for pressing all four buttons square, triangle, cross, circle and needs time to travel from hovering over one button to another to press it. With back buttons you could omit the thumb's responsibility for triangle and circle and use your until now unused middle or ring fingers on the back buttons for that. The thumb could hover over cross with its bottom and meanwhile hover over square with its tip, so you would have a finger hovering over every button to press it fast. This could come in handy for competitions, speedruns and difficult games! But for my needs the usual controller is sufficient. At least for now. If I someday get to a game where I would think "now this back button gadget would be helpful" I may buy it. Or just use my keyboard and mouse instead. Who knows?

Comment

• Balta666
      Balta666 commented
      Editing a comment
      I prefer the Xbox/Nintendo style controllers with the analogue sticks further from each other. But maybe you play mostly with the D-pad as you play 3d games with m+k

• Linkblade
      Linkblade commented
      Editing a comment
      Balta666 I'm positively surprised anyone saved my input play style :-) You're absolutely correct! I mostly use the D-Pad when using a controller! And I agree that the Xbox/Nintendo joystick placement is better if you mostly use the joystick, because then the thumb-arm angle is smaller / more in line / more natural.

What I found a cool detail about the Gamecube controller was that the joystick hole was no circle but a 8-sided star with its corners placed in cardinal and ordinal directions, because most of the time you want to input these directions and the corners center the joystick into these directions to easier input them. ...Hmmm maybe you could make a gadget like an 8-sided star which you can attach to your existing controller!? I would buy THAT!

Oh, did Nintendo release another portable?

Joke aside, the answer is no. First of all, it's nearly unreachable for me, and second, it's completely useless in a controller where you don't need to use more than 4 buttons to play anyway.
    Last edited by Thomas_JCG; 12-19-2019, 11:00 AM. Reason: Clarity
    "Without Games, Life would be a Mistake" - All of the Founding Fathers, in unison.

Comment

• Thomas_JCG
      Thomas_JCG commented
      Editing a comment
      Linkblade - The majority of games require few button inputs, which is why controllers are so compact. Games that actually require you to use all the buttons are far rarer than you think.

• Linkblade
      Linkblade commented
      Editing a comment
      Super Mario Bros. (1985)
      left: move left
      right: move right
      down: duck as tall Mario
      up: climb ladder / plant tendril
      A: jump
      B: move fast
      Start: pause/menu
      Select: pause/menu

This game has pretty simple controls and already uses 8 buttons. I really would like to know which proper games you play that need 4 or less buttons.

• Thomas_JCG
      Thomas_JCG commented
      Editing a comment
      Linkblade is not like the sticks completely replaced the directional pad or anything, leaving only a few actions for the other buttons.

No thanks.
    Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

Why can't they make a controller with movable buttons, so I can decide where the analogue sticks are.
      I find the Xbox controllers far more comfortable than PS ones.
      I would gladly buy a controller like that and would be willing to spend a relatively high price for it.

Comment

Working...
      X