Speedrunning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedrunning

For whatever reason I randomly got into watching speedrunning videos on Youtube in 2019, particularly watching the history of speedrunning certain games, and I'm considering doing it myself for kicks. Anyone else give it a try before or also started watching speedrunning on Youtube or Twitch or whatever?

I do watch speed run videos at random, but I don't think I have the patience to try a speed run my self.
    The most I do on games are simple challenges like Bow only on Souls games or Nuzelocke on Pokemon games, etc.

I also enjoy watching highlight videos of speedruns like Glad Jonas (the fails and saves are amazing). xD

If you wish to do a speed run, go for it.
    ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
    Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

I did some speedruns on Bob Was Hungry. It's a pretty unpopular 2D platformer with the movement of Super Meat Boy. I saw the leaderboard and wanted to beat other people's times so I started recording, uploading and requesting for validations. I only did individual level speedruns because they take time only a few seconds to minutes. I like to go for the perfect run. When trying to do that with a full playthrough it gets annoying for me, because it's all about memorization and you can never hit every trick jump in one run, so you have to make tradeoffs. Also you spent huge more time on complete playthroughs and boring repetition is needed even more. I spent only about 20-30 hours on this game with speedrunning.

I pity speedrunners playing games which take hours to play through for just one run, because it's just so much unfun repetition locking yourself up in your gaming cave and trying every section again and again. I could never commit myself to one game that hard, because I like diversity and also finding out how to. Speedrunning is mostly only about inputting the correct button sequence. Have you heard of ChainChompBraden? He tries to save his self-built Super Mario Maker level for several years now playing only this game, only this one level repeating it for several years. He's got some thousand hours on it. Yeah it's no speedrun, but what you do is basically the same. Learn every section of the game and try to pull it off in one go as best as you can. If you're into that, then you're free to very well run into you own demise. I would not suggest properly speedrunning a game to anyone. It screws up your life!

Comment

I have watched some and find it fascinating: the way they traverse the levels, and the thought of how many times they must have practiced before that record breaking run. I haven't tried it though.

Comment

There is Distortion2 on Twitch who speedruns Souls Likes and has made some world records (beaten or still active). I like to watch him play sometimes. He spends huge amounts of time. 8 hours as a session is "short" for him. He tried to beat Sekiro with a perfect run but couldn't although one run takes only about 30 minutes with glitches. There were just too many hard trick jumps and boss abuses to do even for him with his expertise to beat it with a good time. He finally settled with a worse time as he wanted to move on to something else. Speedrunning is something you need to commit yourself to. Also you need to be VERY VERY VERY patient and suppress negative feelings. This leads to suppressing good feelings as well as they only distract you from your tasks. Speedrunning makes people emotionless void shells. Distortion2 used to rage, but worked on that to suppress his bad feelings. I once tagged him saying that I wonder how he is able to restart a run that easily although it took him 2 hours until now only to make minor mistake and have everything spoiled. He replied on stream and said with black humor something like that speedrunners are emotionless victims of game addiction.

Comment

There's a guy I've seen on Youtube who does GTA 5 speedruns.
            I haven't watched many of his videos and I don't actively search for them, but I do find them mildly interesting.

I'll never get involved with that because I play games for different reasons. I do think they deserve a bit of respect for being able to memorise a game so much.

Comment

I enjoy the 2d mario speedruns the most (the latest on AGDQ with 8 of the best in the scene is very good to watch) but I appreciate any speedrun that does not uses heavy glitches (like finishing ocarina of time in under 10min or so by skipping from the first boss room to Ganon...

Comment

• Linkblade
                Linkblade commented
                Editing a comment
                Balta666 Does that mean you like the long versions of Zelda speedruns? Have you ever sat there for a couple of hours and watched someone speedrun?

Absolutely I enjoy mostly LttP (vanilla and randomizers alike) because what I like is someone crushing through parts that I after many playthroughs still loose a bunch of hearts

Comment

I haven't really watched too many speedruns, but I like them, and channels that do videos on speedrun world record history are really enjoyable, as well as the ones that go into really deep mathematical depth about how some skips work. Those really help you appreciate the way techniques and exploits evolved.

Obviously, if it's a game you're pretty familiar with, it can be pretty mindblowing. I remember thinking I knew everything about Symphony of the Night when I was young.

Comment

• Linkblade
                  Linkblade commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dub-Z I played Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia on the DS and recently saw a speedrun of that. Man, was my mind blown when he got that one throw weapon. I had it too, but didn't know you could grapple yourself on to it while it's flying. He did that and that movement since then was sick fast and sick skilled! Mind blown!

I've been following the speedrunning community for over a decade. I'm an avid fan, but never bothered getting into it myself.
                You just missed the Awesome Games Done Quick (AGDQ) winter edition. 24/7 speedrunning for an entire week. It's gotten a lot more woke since it started, but it's bearable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/co...d_thread_2020/

Comment

I don't think it's true that speedrunning makes you emotionless. Lots of them are Twitch streamers, so they're at least entertaining enough to attract donations. I think that the speedrunners who are like that, though, have probably been like that their whole lives anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X