What video game trilogy is the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What video game trilogy is the best?

I like a good trilogy when it's done right, but so many times it seems like they just force sequels out of well-received (and sometimes not even that) games in order to create a franchise and milk it dry... but there are some that will stand the test of time and be remembered as great. Just off the top of my head I'd say the Mass Effect trilogy is one of the GOATs. Argue all you want about the disappointing final moments, but every title in the trilogy was solid and fun to play. Bioware at its peak imo. Personally, I would like a remaster of the whole trilogy on the next gen consoles, however I very much doubt it will actually happen. My very close runner ups are the Halo trilogy (CE, 2 and 3) and Gears of War trilogy.

Anyway, what video game trilogies do you think are among the best? Don't get stuck too much on the strict definition of a trilogy. Any 3 closely related games would do (e.g. Fallout 3, NV and 4)
    Last edited by PriestTroit; 01-24-2020, 11:20 PM.

(These are all actual trilogies)
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
    Xenosaga
    Atelier Dusk series
    Ar Tonelico
    .......Final Fantasy XIII

I love all of these dearly.
    YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

A few that come to mind are,
      • Devil May Cry (the original trilogy, not so much the new stuff)
      • The Fruit of Grisaia trilogy
      • The Witcher
      • God of War
      • Mass Effect
      • Xenosaga
      • Metal Gear Solid
      • Nekopara
      • Batman: Arkham trilogy
      • Halo (one again, the original trilogy)
      • Bioshock
      • Sonic the Hedgehog
      • Super Mario Bros.
      • Metroid Prime
      However, most of the games have at least one game in the trilogy that wasn't that good compared to the others -- or there was really only one decent game in the trilogy. Out of those, the trilogies that were consistently good the entire way, I would say are probably:
      • The Fruit of Grisaia trilogy
      • The Witcher
      • Metal Gear Solid
      • Nekopara
      • Batman: Arkham trilogy
      • Bioshock
      • Metroid Prime

Comment

• mangaka92
        mangaka92 commented
        Editing a comment
        James27 It is if you consider the original "trilogy" for Metal Gear Solid. It can very loosely be thought of as a trilogy in the same way that Metroid Prime can be considered a "trilogy" despite there being more Metroid games.

• WickedWolf
        WickedWolf commented
        Editing a comment
        I heard Devil May Cry 2 is the worst of the series (including DMC.)

• mangaka92
        mangaka92 commented
        Editing a comment
        WickedWolf Yeah, it really wasn't all that great. Definitely the weakest in the trilogy/series

Originally posted by Star Magician View Post

.......Final Fantasy XIII

I love all of these dearly.
      And I thought I was the only one :'‑)

Comment

• Star Magician
        Star Magician commented
        Editing a comment
        It had a rough start but the second game was incredible imo and the third one was at least a unique game that was fun.

God of War

Dark Souls

Ico + Shadow of the Colossus + Last Guardian

LittleBigPlanet

Earthbound

Marvel Vs Capcom counts.

I non-ironically need Knack 3.

Comment

)> Dark Souls

)> Age of Empires

)> Command & Conquer (Classic and Red Alert series)

)> Sonic ( Classic Genesis )

)> Resident Evil

)> Silent Hill

)> Fatal Frame

)> Sins of a Solar Empire

)> S. T. A. L. K. E. R. (currently playing Pripyat)

)> Star Craft (If you count the expansions, they always felt like their own game)

)> Civilization

)> Roller Coaster Tycoon (The EA blasphemy doesn't count).

)> Monster Hunter

)> Epic Battle Fantasy

)> Final Fantasy

)> XCOM ( Classic UFO, Terror from the Deep and the New ones )

)> Half Life... Wait a minute...
        ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
        Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

• Necromancerx69
          Necromancerx69 commented
          Editing a comment
          aileron
          Don't hate me for this, but I enjoy Civ. V because of the mods. xD
          Civ. 6 is just ugly... :P

While no single game in the Mass Effect trilogy stands out as the 'greatest of all time' to me, the trilogy as a whole - carrying your decisions from the first game to the last - is my favorite gaming experience.

I really enjoyed the Witcher trilogy but the games all feel very stand-alone, so I don't think of it as a trilogy. Witcher 1 is one of my all-time favorite isometric games, however.

Kotor never made it to the 'trilogy' stage but as a pair, they are fantastic. The second game is only kindof a sequel, however, as it's a very stand-alone product, so not sure if that would count, even so.

Bioshock was a fantastic trilogy and I liked how the dlc for the third game tied everything back together. Elizabeth is one of the best npcs in gaming.

From my Console days, Super Mario 1-3 were also fantastic.

Comment

• JackofTears
          JackofTears commented
          Editing a comment
          PriestTroit I find that most people who disliked the game played it in 3rd person, the combat is actually pretty good if you play the game in isometric mode.

• Dub-Z
          Dub-Z commented
          Editing a comment
          Whoa, isometric mode? I'll have to look that up. I've always had a thing for isometric games like Landstalke, Solstice and Dark Savior.

• JackofTears
          JackofTears commented
          Editing a comment
          Dub-Z When you start the game it asks you if you want to play in isometric or 3rd person. They use the same engine as Neverwinter Nights but do a lot with it.

Thief starts off with a bang, becomes even better and then quietly slinks back and dies a comfortable death in 2004. May it rest in peace, with no nightmares from 2014 being able to trouble it.
        S.T.A.L.K.E.R is also great, and so is the PS2 3d GTA trilogy.

...also let's not forget the Fallout trilogy. Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Fallout 3: New Vegas. And there are no other games in the series.

Comment

Resident Evil
          Mass Effect
          God of War
          Uncharted

Comment

Just because no one mentioned it so far:

WARCRAFT

Comment

• Necromancerx69
              Necromancerx69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Can't believe I forgot about Warcraft, it's been a long time since I played it.
              Hell, even Warcraft gave us Dota.

Heroes of Might and Magic series. Up to the 5th one, with the 5th one included.
            Mechwarrior, the old ones. I haven't played the newer one.
            Jedi Outcast, Outcast 2 and Jedi Academy.

I also agree with a lot of people above, but it would be moot to reiterate what they've already said.

Comment

Hands down probably Thief. I'm of course talking about Thief, Thief 2: The Metal Age and Thief: Deadly Shadows. I don't really consider 2014 Thief to be a real Thief game. It misses the mark on so many levels.

Latham Isn't Jedi Outcast just the second game in the Jedi Knight series? The one preceding it was called Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II which is a sequel to the non-Jedi Knight but still Star Wars game, Star Wars Dark Forces. Yeah, it's all very convoluted. Nevertheless, a very solid trilogy indeed. Outcast and Academy easily have the best lightsaber combat in any Star Wars game. It hasn't been matched to this day.

Comment

Gonna take a bit of a left turn and say the Danganronpa games. I think it counts? It has two main games (Trigger Happy Havoc and Goodbye Despair) and a spin-off of sorts that takes place between them (Ultra Despair Girls). Honestly, it's rare I get in to a game's story and characters as much as I did with Danganronpa. The only other series' that did it for me are Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid.

Other honorable mentions:
                • The Witcher
                • Dark Souls
                • Mass Effect
                • Dead Space
                • Thief (like Vippy said, excluding the reboot)
                • BioShock
                Last edited by James27; 01-25-2020, 12:54 AM.

Comment

• Dub-Z
                  Dub-Z commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was actually thinking of the Danganronpa games when clicking on this thread a few times, thinking some members here might pick them, knowing their tastes. I have those on Vita but still haven't played them.

Originally posted by Necromancerx69 View Post
                )

)> Half Life... Wait a minute...
                Lol

But I guess there's the Alex game that I've heard is coming out eventually

Comment

For me I think it's Mass Effect.
                  Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

Working...
                  X