Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: What Are Your Thoughts on Collector's Editions of Games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: What Are Your Thoughts on Collector's Editions of Games?

Collector's Editions of games probably have a lot to do with why physical media still exists within the gaming industry. Getting figures, Artbooks, extra digital goods, or other items that go hand in hand with a product, can be very rewarding for a lot of people. However on the flip side of that, they also make games far more expensive for items that for a lot of people, just sit on their shelves forever, or hang on walls or what have you, and pricing for these editions can be all over the place. Despite this, and the fact that digitally owning games is more common these days, collector's editions of games seem to be getting more common, with even indie inspired, or actual indie titles like Ori and the Will of the Wisps following the trend. So what's your general thought on them?
    Depends entirely on what's given for the price
    73.08%
    Paying for more than the base game is pointless
    0%
    They aren't bad one way or the other
    7.69%
    They are cheap cash grabs
    3.85%
    It's sad that even Indie games do this now
    3.85%
    I don't care
    7.69%
    Other
    3.85%

I personally don't care about them but don't see an issue with it either. These kind of things interest to a certain part of the consumers or the publishers wouldn't put it out and the value is like everything else in the world and it has to be evaluated on a case by case manner

Comment

I voted for "it depends on what's inside" but TBH I have never bought a collector's edition of ANY game. Sure, a statuette or figurine is probably nice, a T-shirt or a canvas map sounds cool as well, but usually it's some in-game benefit that should've come with the base game anyway, so it's a cash-grab most of the time.

Comment

I don't really care, you do you.
        If you want to spend more for a special edition then go for it, I don't want to buy it but I won't complain if someone else buys it.

Comment

The only Collector’s edition I bought was Soul Calibur VI, and that’s because it was cheaper than the base game at the time. If I really like what’s included, I might splurge for one, but I simply can’t afford to do that every time a game I want comes out. A lot of them have become unbelievably overpriced as of late.
          I wish I could love anything as much as I hate everything
          I also make videos https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpvjyJGhppM0bExHo74vBsA

Comment

Depends on the price, most of the time it's overpriced imo but niche publisher like Pqube often do Day 1 Editions that come with Artbooks for the standard price.
            Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

Depents on what it includes, but recently all of them seemed like cash grabs, or when they actually contained something cool they were priced beyond reason.
              Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
              Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

I've always loved collector's/special editions. They're a good reason for physical games to still exist. If done right, they're like pieces of art that gives you an experience just opening it, and you can then display proudly. Dawn of War II: Retribution CE is my favourite.

But I agree with @Latham, I despise CEs that give you in-game bonuses. I don't find starting with advantages I didn't earn fun. That sort of thing will make me want to get the standard edition more.

Comment

I don't have the money and space for all this stuff, and I kinda miss the days when exorbitantly deluxe CE's were things you would just read about in Gamefan magazine, that Japan would get and we never did.

Nowadays, every game gets a CE, even if it's a brand new ip that hasn't had a chance to even cultivate a fandom and collectability factor yet. ie: Watchdogs and the "iconic" jacket. Hell, even half-assed, mobile-tier games getting ported to consoles get big box collector editions with soundtrack etc in the LimitedRunGames, Play-Asia etc sphere.

That said, if I won the lottery, I would probably have a collectibles room full of statues, trinkets and complete physical collections for some of my favorite games series. Probably Castlevania, Metal Gear, Dark Souls and the like.

Comment

I buy them all the time. I love getting collectibles with my games. However, I usually only get them from Japanese publishers because western CEs (and Squeenix) tend to be way too expensive.
                    YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

I am good with the physical items, I hate locking out items or cosmetics in game behind an actual paywall through a collectors edition though, just because I end up spending more money.

Comment

If it's a game that I really, really enjoy, then I absolutely try to pick up the collector's edition if possible. It does depend on what the collector's edition offers, though. For instance, if it's a game that has an artbook and the art is done by someone like Kunihiko Tanaka or has the soundtrack for the game by someone like Yoko Shimomura and it's a game I really want, then you'd better believe I'm going to pick up the collector's edition.

Comment

• mangaka92
                          mangaka92 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Linkblade Well, Kunihiko Tanaka did all of the character designs for all of the Xeno- games from Xenogears to Xenoblade X and even some designs in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which those games are pretty famous. Yoko Shimomura, on the other hand, composed for everything from Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars to even working on Final Fantasy XV, so she's quite famous as far as video game composers go. Certainly among top 20 greatest video game composers and possibly even in the top 10.

If the collectors edition contains the full OST then I might be OK with it. The whole "physical goods" angle normally does not appeal to me, I buy my games digitally for a reason (Two, actually. First I don't want a whole Bookshelf full of empty game cases containing nothing more than the digital equivalent of a CD-KEY and second, I don't want more boxes full of games. My PS2 Collection is already too damn big.)

Exclusive in-game content honestly feels a little Dirty no matter which way you slice it, some games release this stuff post launch for a small fee which I am OK with, but some games instead go with the "pride and accomplishment" mentality and locks it behind the deluxe/pre-order paywall for all eternity, which I hate. Generally this stuff is not Worth the price of admission by itself.

The sneakiest practice is adding cosmetic items which give QOL improvements into this, such as the exclusive lightsaber color in Fallen Order. Yes it's only a cosmetic, but it is much easier on the Eyes (literally!) than the arclight blue you get otherwise.
                        Google Stadia - "Shortly after launch"

Comment

It depends really and unless you're a superfan most collector's editions aren't worth it. My BB Pod is cool but it's not something that will make Death Stranding a better game for those who don't like it
                          I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Comment

amazing work!
                            regards
                            GTA SA LOVERS
                            GTA VC LOVER
                            GTA 5 LOVER

Comment

Working...
                            X