Do you use the Epic Games Store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use the Epic Games Store?

There is much controversy surrounding this topic. I would like to hear your personal opinion on this matter.

I would have created more poll options, but 10 seems to be the limit. For all "Other" enthusiasts, you're free to write whatever you want and vote for everything, nothing and everything in between. We've got multiple choice here! Make your vote count!
    I collect the giveaway games to play them
    5.88%
    I collect the giveaway games to support the developers (Epic pays devs full price for each giveaway)
    17.65%
    I collect the giveaway games to hurt Epic
    5.88%
    I even spent money on the Epic Games Store
    17.65%
    I refuse to use the Epic Games Store!
    64.71%
    Epic's actions are bad for the gaming industry and should not be supported!
    35.29%
    Epic's actions are good for the gaming industry and should be supported!
    5.88%
    Epic is a puppet played by Tencent, which is a puppet played by China
    17.65%
    I'm against game exclusives if they are not their own intellectual property
    35.29%
    I hate that there is still NO SHOPPING CART!
    5.88%

I refuse to use the Epic Games Store until they get rid of snatching up upcoming games and making them exclusive hostages of their store. I am for releasing the games simultaneously on every store and platform and let the consumer choose where to buy it, or if the company making the game has their own store, I am OK with them doing a timed exclusive there first.

I am older and have learnt patience. I don't NEED to play new releases the year they're released. I have plenty of fun with games like Heroes of Might and Magic 3 & 5, Total War: Warhammer 2, Path of Exile, Final Fantasy 14 etc. that I play on a daily or weekly basis. I can wait 6 months for hostages to be released, or even longer than a year until those hostages go 50% off on steam or gog.

Comment

Originally posted by Latham View Post
      I refuse to use the Epic Games Store until they get rid of snatching up upcoming games and making them exclusive hostages of their store. I am for releasing the games simultaneously on every store and platform and let the consumer choose where to buy it, or if the company making the game has their own store, I am OK with them doing a timed exclusive there first.

I am older and have learnt patience. I don't NEED to play new releases the year they're released. I have plenty of fun with games like Heroes of Might and Magic 3 & 5, Total War: Warhammer 2, Path of Exile, Final Fantasy 14 etc. that I play on a daily or weekly basis. I can wait 6 months for hostages to be released, or even longer than a year until those hostages go 50% off on steam or gog.
      Well it's not like Epic captures the games and takes them hostage. In fact the developers of the game choose to accept the offer and develop their game with the support of Epic, because the developers are of the opinion that this is the best way to develop their game. Do you blame the developers, too?

Comment

• Latham
        Latham commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I kind of do. I know you need to make money to pay bills and develop your game and up-front cash in very nice, but still I scoff at them for not having any sort of moral backbone (the ones that promised steam keys but sold out to epic). If you make promises you should keep them, and if you can't keep your promises you shouldn't make them in the first place.

• Linkblade
        Linkblade commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea, I can understand that. But I think it must be really hard to be a game developer. So I have still sympathy for them. While I agree with you that they should only promise what they can hold and keep promises, the process of game development is highly random and needs to surpass high and low tides, so a fix rock to cling on in the storm as safety is highly appealing. Do you have examples of games where promises were actually broken? I mean, If Steam keys were promised, it's not really a broken promise if they deliver Steam keys just later. Maybe players interpreted their words for more than they actually were?

I don't like the Epic Game Store launcher, maybe I will change my mind in a far away future, but the future is not now.

For now I dislike it and it doesn't make me feel safe to use it (how many times the security was compromised with Epic?).

Steam master race. <3
      ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
      Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

I mostly collect the freebies (and I am playing batman trilogy and darksiders 2) but I have also bought lat Christmas assassin's creed odyssey for about 12£. I don't have anything against epic apart from be common dislike of pc launchers.

i like to download a game when I want to play it and do not bother with where it came anymore (hence why I prefer gog)

Comment

I haven't used the Fortnite launcher and I never plan to.

Comment

Nope, I would rather pay for a game elsewhere (preferably GOG) than get it free on Epic. Too much backlog to even care about the free stuff anyway.
            YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

I hate having multiple desktop gaming clients. I just want everything on Steam. The only reason I'd ever use GOG is because there are some older games that Steam sometimes doesn't optimize or ensure that they're working while GOG does. I have no reason to use Epic Games because none of their exclusive titles interest me. Should Epic Games be allowed to have exclusive titles? Absolutely. Exclusive titles are how companies make a lot of their money and more money means a better platform for those games in the future. If you think Epic Games is trash, then how do you expect them to get better unless they have ways to incentivize people to use their site so they can generate enough revenue to make those improvements?

Comment

I'm not really fussed, I don't use the launcher myself because I never buy games close to release and by the time I do want to buy it, the game gets released on Steam.

Comment

No. I hope Tim Sweeney goes blind and burns in hell.

Comment

• Linkblade
                    Linkblade commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cuzin_Ed come on, you can't mean that. Wishing the death upon a human is a reprehensible act in itself. Does he really make your life that much worse for you to wish such bad things upon him???

I chose I collect the giveaways to support the developers although up until this moment I had no idea Epic pays for the games it gives away for free. I was just collecting them because they were free :-)

Comment

I refuse to use the store, I don't even collect the free games, cause I can't be bribed with gifts like journos.
                    Unfortunately I ended up with the epic store version of metro exodus, but in my defence that was before I realized how far they are going to take this, and I haven't bought it on the epic store but a third party store and it was meant to be a steam key so I hope epic got no money from that sale. But I quickly finished the game then scrubbed the egs launcher from my system and haven't touched it for a year now.
                    Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
                    Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

I’ve never used it, but that’s mainly because I hardly ever play on PC. Is EGS disliked for other reasons than keeping games hostage? (I realize that’s shitty. Just wondering if there are other reasons.)
                      Last edited by WickedWolf; 02-17-2020, 02:00 PM.
                      I wish I could love anything as much as I hate everything
                      I also make videos https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpvjyJGhppM0bExHo74vBsA

Comment

I won't again. I did use it for Fortnite but then when I found out they were digging into your library and them being in bed with China I was out. Buying stuff not involving China is pretty impossible, but as soon as some shady stuff comes attached with it, I'm definitely out. Shame too, I would really like to play Control and would buy Detroit: Become Human on PC just to play it at max settings versus what was offered on console.

Comment

Originally posted by WickedWolf View Post
                          I’ve never used it, but that’s mainly because I hardly ever play on PC. Is EGS for other reasons than keeping games hostage? (I realize that’s shorty. Just wondering if there are other reasons.)
                          yes, there are other reasons EGS is disliked by many. As the poll options suggest there is their connection with Tencent as investor, who is in very close connections with China. So many fear Epic is biased and influenced by China.

Security issues. I don't know much about this, but this is supposed to be a thing. Data loss to attackers and spying of Epic themselves on your library / system?! I don't know if this is true.

The EGS client is inferior to Steam with many features missing. There is still no shopping cart, which is such a basic feature that many make fun of it. They have a Trello board roadmap with plans for upcoming features, but they work too slow for most people.

The exclusivity alone is not the whole story. Many feel tricked by Epic, because they backed a game on Kickstarter which should have been released to Steam, but before release the devs signed a contract with Epic with a timed exclusivity. Also many don't want the PC market to get used to these exclusives and therefore boycott it by not using EGS and talking bad about it.

I don't deny that the Epic Store has its flaws, but in my opinion most people talking bad about EGS too much think only of themselves and overlook the good things Epic is doing. Devs don't decide to go to Epic for no reason. It's a really generous offer devs get from Epic to produce their games and much more profitable, even in the long run. It's much better for devs and therefore for making games in general. I hope that this fight between Epic and Steam will lead to a better environment for game devs. If there was not competitor to Steam, if there was no Epic, Steam would keep its monopoly and could go on doing whatever they want. I think this would hold a risk possible to be unleashed at any given time. So I'm glad that there is Epic.

Comment

Working...
                          X