‘Super Mario Maker 2’ Getting Update 2.0.0 This December
- Will be available free on December 5th.
- New Ninji Speedrun mode.
- Play as Link from the Legend of Zelda.
Nintendo has announced that Super Mario Maker 2 will receive its 2.0.0 update on the 5th of December for free. This new update adds Link from the Legend of Zelda series as a playable character, new course parts, and a new gameplay mode.
As soon as played have downloaded the 2.0.0 update, the new Master Sword item will be available to use exclusively in the 8-bit Super Mario Bros. style. Players will get to play as Link when the new course is picked, and Mario will transform into the green tunic wearing hero. Link brings his own unique moves with him, he’ll be able to slash with his sword, shoot arrows, and drop bombs.
Link’s abilities brings new and exciting gameplay options, and new creative course opportunities. Keeping Links’s arrows in mind, players can place switches that can only be reached by a well timed arrow, and that can never be reached when playing as Mario. Links’s down thrust attack with his sword will defeat usually protected enemies like spike-covered Spinies. Walls that would normally be impassable by Mario and friends, can now be easily blown up with Link’s bombs.
Aside from getting to play as Link, the update also adds new course parts and enemies to overcome. Players also get a new band mode that’s perfect for those looking for more of a challenge called Ninji Speedruns mode. The new course parts are as follows:
- Dash Block: Available in the Super Mario 3D World style, the Dash Block course part gives Mario a major speed burst when stepped on.
- Frozen Coin: These coins are surrounded by a block of ice and can only be released if melted by fireballs or other fire elements, including a certain angry sun.
- P Block: When a P Switch is hit in the course, invisible P Blocks temporarily turn into hard platforms, or vice-versa.
- Spike: This classic enemy coughs up massive spike balls and launches them at Mario. If used in the snow environment, Spike will toss snowballs instead!
- Pokey: The iconic stacked cactus from multiple Super Mario games joins Super Mario Maker 2 for the first time. Players can even edit the height of each Pokey.
The new Ninji Speedruns mode sees players take on timed challenges in courses that have been created by Nintendo themselves exclusively for this mode. Ninji Ghosts from others players will run alongside you as you compete against players from around the world. You will compete against ghosts of similar performance and skill, allows you to always have a competitive game even when you improve. There are also stamps to be collected by clearing courses, and these can be redeemed in hand for special Mii costumes.
These Ninji Speedrun eveners will last for a week, with new courses releasing periodically. During an event, you will be ranked against others based upon play time in that course. Are you excited for the next update to Super Mario Maker 2? Have you been enjoying the title so far? To stay up to date on Super Mario Maker 2, make sure to follow Nintendo on Twitter, Facebook, and their official website.