‘Touhou Dark Echoes’ Coming Soon
- Will release on Steam.
- A puzzle platformer for casual players.
- Travel between realms to solve puzzles.
Developers Vaka Game Magazine and Ministry of Broadcast, with publisher AGM PLAYISM, have announced their upcoming colorful indie casual puzzle platformer Touhou: Dark Echoes will be releasing soon on PC via Steam. Touhou: Dark Echoes takes place in both Gensokyo and the Outside World. Players will need to move back and forth in order to solve puzzles, and they’ll need the aid of familiar Touhou characters.
In Touhou Dark Echoes, players will get to investigate mysteries surrounding the unusual incident that’s troubling Gensokyo. You’ll play as Sumireko Usami, and you’ll get to travel across the Gensokyo solving environmental puzzles using your ability to travel between realms. Over the course of the story, you’ll learn how great Sumireko’s involvement in this incident is. Mysterious dark echoes swarm around the Youkai Mountain, and both Gensokyo and the Outside World are in danger. Dialogue scenes are designed to be fast-paced, snappy, and with classical Touhou whimsicality. You’ll learn that Sumireko always has something witty and sarcastic to reply, and this goes for whoever she encounters in her journey.
The developers claim that since the title is made in Eastern Europe, its art style will be vastly different, and never seen before in Touhou derivative work. The two realms, Gensokyo and the Outside World, are also designed to have distinct looks, and feel different. When it comes to character designs, the developers have opted to make them as cute as possible. There are boss fights to overcome, each of which will grant you a new ability that will then be used for puzzles, making them more complex and difficult. Other features are as follows:
- Narrative platformer: Run, jump, switch or fireball your way through Gensokyo and the Outside World all the way up to the top of the Youkai Mountain as the snappy fast-paced whimsical dialogues reveal the story.
- Puzzle-solving: As you gain more abilities the puzzles get more and more complex. Simple switching between the worlds will only get you so far in this game. The smart use of Sumireko’s elemental powers in combination with thought through platforming and switching becomes an absolute necessity as you progress.
- Boss fights: Each boss fight is a puzzle of its own. You need to discover a weakness of each boss and exploit it in order to win and learn new abilities.
- Story and Personality: In the classic Touhou Project style there is a lot of whimsicality, humor and fun as to the story, dialogues and the character personalities.
Are you excited for Touhou: Dark Echoes? Will you be picking it up once it releases? What would you like to see from the title in the future? Are there any other similar titles that you’re excited for this year? For other indie titles to keep an eye on, make sure to check out Nexomon: Extinction, PsyHotel Simulator, and Anthology of Fear. To stay up to date on Touhou: Dark Echoes, make sure to follow the developers on Twitter, Facebook, and their official YouTube channel.